Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

"Okay, Mrs. Hamilton. We are gonna scoot you over into this bed. Just give yourself a big hug...take a deep breath....1...2...3!" I say as we remove the cart away from the hospital bed.

"Thanks, Amber," I address my nurse's assistant, as she takes the cart out of the room

"See, that wasn't so bad, was it?" I say to Mrs. Hamilton as I rearrange covers and pillows to make her more comfortable.

"I guess, not," she replies almost like a child that's been proven wrong.

"Told ya so!" I grin at her, "So what else do we need? Anything?"

"No, I think I am all set sweetie," she grins the best she can, given the procedure she's just had.

"Well, alrighty then. Just remember that if you need anything to push the red button," I say pointing to the remote on the side of her bed.

She nods.

"Nighty night." I say as I go towards the door.

"You'll stop by tomorrow. Won't you, Alexia?" she asks full of hope.

"Don't I always." I wink and turn off the lights. I've been visiting Mrs. Hamilton for quite a while now and we've become pretty good friends. I always make sure I take her on her biweekly walks around the hospital grounds.

I complete the last of my rounds to make sure the rest of my patients are comfortable. It only takes a few minutes to finish my charting, since I'd been working on it constantly throughout the day.

"So what's happening, Lexie?" Lily, ask the nurse that will be taking over for me.

"It's not gonna be a bad night. I just checked on everyone, and they're all sleeping or just watching television," I reply, giving her the report on each of my patients.

"I'll see you guys tomorrow," I wave to the new shifts of nurses, and head towards the locker room.

"Whew! Long day, huh?" another nurse asks as she changes out of our uniform of dark blue scrubs. I look at her badge to see her name is Cheryl.

"You took the words right out of my mouth. Peaceful but long." I reply putting on my dark blue Levi's and black long sleeve shirt.

"Those converse are soo cute," the Cheryl gushes at my black and white shoes.

"Thanks. My sister brought them for me for either my birthday or Christmas. Either or." I smile and put my curly dark brown and reddish hair into a high ponytail.

"You wanna join us at the bar for a couple of drinks,"she asks kindly as we head out of the elevator towards the exit.

"Nah, I gotta come in early tomorrow. I'm just gonna pick up a sandwich and head home. Thanks for offering though!" I smile and head towards my blue Ford Fusion.

"Alrighty, then. See you later!" she says as she heads in the opposite direction towards the other employees. I watch them as they laugh and joke. Obviously happy to be out of work, even though it's almost 10 o'clock at night.

Wish I could join them. And I would've, if I hadn't agreed to work a double tomorrow.

I make it to the Berry Happy Cafe 15 minutes later and just in time to grab my favorite seat right outside. It's smack dab in the middle of the action. To the right of the cafe is an ice cream shop and a movie theater. Looking to the right you can see a quaint little park surrounding a beautifully sculpted fountain.

"Alexia!!! How ya doing snuckums!? How was work at the hospital? Are you here alone?"

I look up to see Stacy addressing me. The first thing you notice about my friend here, is her fiery red hair. It should come as a warning as her personality is just as spicy. She stares down at me with green eyes waiting for me to answer one of her many questions.