Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4

“A hit and run? Really? That’s just so….rude! How could anyone live with themselves after having….Ugh!! What has the world come to?” I ramble off before I notice Officer Banks is still present.

“Now I wish I had paid more attention to the car. Is there anything else that you need from me?” I finally address him.

“As of right now? No, you have been a great help. If you think of something else then please call. You still have my number right?”

“Yes, I do. I had better start heading home, then. It’s been a long day and I have to…” I glance down at my phone to check the time.

“Be back here in about 6 hours to start my next shift.” 

“Um…Is it alright if I get your card or number? You know if we need to uhh…get in touch with you for the case…or something?” He says nervously.

Why would he be anxious to ask for my information? Especially, since I could possibly help out with the case. However, thinking about it that’s the second time he’s been nervous since talking to me. He doesn’t seem like the type of guy to get nervous. He couldn’t be hitting on me. Could he? Naw! I don’t believe it. Even the thought of this gorgeous specimen even debating asking me out, is beyond belief. I bet it’s strictly business for him. And now let’s make that the third time I’ve zoned out with this guy. Somebody help me!

“Sure. Anything to help out with the case.” I reach over the desk and begin to write down my information. I hand him the little piece of yellow paper. 

“Okay, thanks. I better let you go. We’ll be in touch. Pleasure meeting you Ms. Miller, too bad it wasn’t under better circumstances,” He says with a smile as he holds the door open for me. 

“Nice to meet you too, Officer Handsome.” I reply as I begin to head out of the door.

His eyebrows rise up and a slow smirk forms on his lips.  That’s when I realize my mistake. Okay now it’s time to go into damage control. I know that if I say something I’ll just start to ramble and my cheeks will go even redder than they are now. So that’s not the best plan of action. Maybe, I should just pretend it never happened, and hope that he does too. Yeah let’s go with that. Just remain chill and calm, Alex. I chant to myself. Chill and calm. 

I begin to walk out of the door with a small smile. Silently, praying that this will all blow over. Today is really just not my day. First, I was semi-stalking a couple being affectionate. Helped save one party of said couple. Then, I lusted after that injured patient. Drooled and went half brain dead over a cop, and called him Officer Handsome to his flipping face. Talk about a day full of brain farts. Geez, I need to get some help. Maybe sleep would help me regain my composure. 

As I’m going through this internal battle, I briskly walk towards the parking lot and away from my embarrassment. Luckily, none of my coworkers were around to witness my shameful display.

I grab my keys out of my bag. Two things happen simultaneously. One, I realize to my dismay that my car is still at the café. That’s just freaking great! And two, I’m being followed. Slowly, I reach in my bag to grab my pepper spray and try to recall that self-defense class I took all those years ago. Just as I’m about to turn around and release the “fury”, or at least my version of it, I hear a familiar voice.

“I know you left your car at that restaurant and figured you’d need a ride. Come on I’ll take you.” Office Banks says while reaching for my bag to carry it. 

“Um…thanks that’s very kind of you. But I think I can walk.”

“I insist. Besides it’s 1:30 in the morning. You shouldn’t be walking out this late at night or morning rather. I won’t take no for an answer.” He replies putting my bag over his shoulder.