Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

"So did you have a good weekend Sweetie," Mrs. Hamilton asks as I check over her vitals.

"Yea. It was pretty good," I reply while trying to hide my face from her.

She and I have a great friendship. She reminds me of someone else. Another great friend. There have been plenty of days, these past few weeks, where I have sat in the chair right beside her. Talking and talking. Talking so much to the point where my butt may be permanently imprinted on the chair. In other words, this lady knows me well and can read my face like a book. Not that I’m very good at hiding my feelings to begin with. So when she gives me an inquiring look, I know where our conversation is about to go.

"The only thing that can make a girl blush as much as you are now is a man," she chuckles. She gives me a pointed luck, meaning for me to explain further.

"Well, it was just a date or two..." I say as I silently curse my cheeks for always giving everything away.

"MMM Hmmm..."

"Man, Mrs. Hamilton. You're worse than my sister. So nosy," I say with a laugh as I get comfortable in my chair.

"And getting information out of you is worse than dealing with pulling teeth from my old patients. They would give me such a hard time, I tell you. I'd sometimes have my husband turn up the laughing gas or medicine, just to get them to settle down," she chuckles.

Her husband was a dentist, not just some guy drugging people up and pulling their teeth. Mrs. Hamilton was a Dentist's assistant. She met Dr. Hamilton, fell in love and the rest was history. Dr. Hamilton died a few years back from a heart attack. They never had children even though they wanted to. Just one of the things I’ve learned from our long talks. Surprisingly, we haven't run out of things to talk about yet.

"So let's just be out with it. Or do I need to go get my supplies? I still have them, you know," she threatens, bringing me back to the present.

"No need for the supplies Mrs. Hamilton. I just don't know where to start. Ugh..."

"Start with the name first and then go from there."

"Jordan Banks."

"See that wasn't so hard. What's his occupation?"

"He's an officer. I um...actually met him the other day at the scene of an accident."

"So you just met him recently then?"

I nod in agreement.

"And you've already been on two dates?"

I nod again.

"Looks promising, my dear. So what about the dates then? They went okay, I assume?"

"Mmmm Hmmm,” I start, “The first date was Friday. He took me to a carnival. It's been a while since I'd been to one. I had a really great time. We went to get something to eat at the cafe after words. Then after we shared a moment, he asked to see me again the next day. Saturday, he took me to breakfast at this little diner-like place. They had the best pancakes known to mankind. I'm gonna have to make sure I bring some back for you. After that we went roller skating. Apparently, the place didn't open until later in the day. But Jordan said kids normally skate then, so he had the owner open it up an hour early for us. He made a whole playlist of songs, most of which we had talked about the day before on the car ride to the carnival. We just skated, laughed, and joked the entire time. It reminded me so much of my teenage years."

"So you like him. And he obviously likes you. So-"

"You think so. I mean if you saw him. He's so hot, and-"