sixteen

sixteen

Luke was home alone around dinner time. Both of his parents at work, his brothers back at their own houses a few states away.

He rolled up his favorite tee shirt, tucking it tight in a luggage bag. He didn't know when he and Michael were going to come back. Hell, he didn't know if they were ever coming back.

That thought did scare him quite a lot. He wasn't sure he wanted to go off with Michael like their plan, but he knew he couldn't stay here. He knew they couldn't stay here, he and It.

Luke was pretty scared. He's never had to feel fear about anything in his life. He lived in a stable two-parent suburbia home his entire life. He did fine in school, he had a slight idea where he was going in life.

Then, he met Michael.

Michael made him feel alive. Luke never knew a mathematics teacher could show him how to live. Michael taught him to breathe: Luke didn't realize he wasn't.

With ups will always comes downs, though.

Luke stands up from his bed, walking over to the mirror hanging on his wall. He pulls off his pajama shirt, throwing it to his messy floor. His hands grab at his stomach as his eyes watch his own every move.

Luke notices a difference, though.

Suddenly, there's actually a bump.

He turns to the side, his eyes focusing on the space between his hips. It's the smallest indent, the smallest peak. It was practically impossible to spot out unless one was looking for it. Luke's cold hands go over the slope upon his stomach, softly pressing in and then moving down.

The indent stopped right along his happy trail. He could easily be mistaken for a little chubby rather than six weeks pregnant.

He pulled his phone from his pockets, swiping up the camera. He put his feet together, his scrawny knees making him feel terrible about himself. He held his phone right above stomach, aiming it down.

He quickly took the photo, sending it to Michael.

To / Mikey

Do you see it, too?

Luke put his phone back in his pockets, still staring at the mirror. He sat down on the floor, his mind deep in its own thoughts.

He looked down at his stomach, his own blue eyes meeting the bump. "Wow," he whispered. He kept his hands on the skin, unable to take it off.

Michael pulled the bedsheets closer to his shoulders, making himself into a living, breathing caterpillar. He clicked the notification from the top of his phone, scrolling down the keyboard to see Luke's message.

He couldn't help but let a smile curl from his lips.

To / Lukey

Beautiful.

He opened the photo again, zooming in on his little stomach. It was probably weird for him to have his screen lit up with a photo of his boyfriends torso, but, that's his child in there. He could see the difference, he could see it well.

He spent lots of time admiring Luke's figure. He knew the younger boy had a completely flat stomach, his hipbones the only curve to him. He liked Luke's body, he knew it better than the back of his hand.

Michael rolled onto his back, locking his phone. He stared up at the ceiling, trying to accept the fact that in less than a year, he would actually be a father. He would be able to hold a child in his hands and call it his own. It would change his life and he was sure it would be for the better.

Luke came into Michael's life and made him feel alive. Mike was sure that this baby would do the same.

The only fear Michael had was of Luke leaving. He was afraid that they'd have the child and Luke would decide he didn't want to be apart of its life. Michael wanted Luke just as much as It. Michael loved Luke.

Mike called his mother, like the Mama's Boy he is.

"What's it supposed to feel like?" He asked, not even starting with a greeting.

"Oh," she answered, startled. "Wait, what?"

"When you and Dad were expecting me, what did you guys feel?"

Her voice was warm and friendly, and maybe that's why she's Michael's best friend. "Well, your father and I weren't sure we were able to have kids, so when we found out we were pregnant with you, we were ecstatic. We were counting down the days until we could have you in our arms."

Michael smiled, he felt loved. "I'm really excited, am I supposed to be?"

"Your situation is," Ms. Clifford paused, "Odd."

"I know, Mom."

"I think you're allowed to be excited, though. It's your child, it's a whole new addition in your life."

Michael sighed contently. "Luke is scared."

"Reasonably, he's seventeen," she pointed out.

"Almost eighteen."

"Michael Gordon, don't make me yell at you again."

He sat up in his bed, playing with the seam of his sheets. "Are you excited to meet him?"

"Of course. Also excited to finally scold you face-to-face."

Michael laughed. "Right, me too."

"Is Luke showing yet? Is that why you called?"

"Yeah." A glow in Michael's eyes was present when the picture of his pretty boyfriend echoed in his mind. "It's not a lot, but I can tell."

"How's he doing?"

"Pretty good. I'm taking him to his doctor's appointment and making sure he's doing what he's supposed to."

His mother was impressed with her son. She was pleased that Michael was actually taking on the role. He was actually growing up and acting like an adult. Ms. Clifford couldn't believe that her baby was about to have a baby. "Mike, I'm angry at you for getting yourself in this situation, but at the same time, I'm quite proud."

"Did you think I was going to dump Luke or something?"

"If you ever leave that boy now, I will dump you," she threatened.

Mike smiled, again. He couldn't stop smiling. His life seemed like a pretty good mess.