twenty six

twenty six

"Why is my mom texting you?" Luke asked as he picked up Michael's vibrating phone from the middle console. He started to scroll through the messages, realizing his mother and boyfriend texted a lot.

It was early August, Luke was nearing twelve weeks. He was sweating gallons over the black tee shirt tight on his body. He was gaining more fat than anything else. He blames the ice cream It craves at ungodly hours.

"Probably telling me I'm late to your appointment," Michael said as he pulled into the OB/GYN parking lot.

"That's not very nice."

"You know your mom," he sighed, "Never likes to be kept waiting."

Luke put Michael's phone down as he parked. "Does she really text you that much?"

He nodded. "She texted me one day to tell me how you like your sandwiches cut. Does she realize that I'm your boyfriend, not mother?"

"I think she forgets."

Michael turned off the ignition, content enough with his parking job.

They headed into the well-lit doctor's office. The walls were pastel, calming pictures framed in white wood. A fountain had slow water washing down the stone. Luke was constantly hypnotized by the running water.

Luke sat down in a plastic chair on the side as Michael checked them in. His mother walked in moments later, sliding off her sunglasses as she spotted her son.

Mike came back to the two Hemmings, sitting next to his boyfriend. "Did you realize you're twelve weeks in?"

"Yeah, I told you that this morning."

"Oh. We should get a calendar to mark all the—."

"We have one, Michael. It's on the fridge."

Michael stayed silent, but gave Luke a smile. He placed his hand on Luke's knee, his thumb rubbing textures on the inside of his thigh.

The three sat in silence once again, not sure what to say to each other. Luke leant his head on Michael's shoulder, letting his hand rise up and hold him closer. Ms. Hemmings noticed their affection, but didn't dare peep a word.

They were all brought to a room, Michael and Ms. Hemmings sitting next to each other as Luke sat up on the outstretched chair.

Luke has slowly gotten used to getting blood drawn, but still cringes and tears up when they begin. He glares at Michael the entire time. Mike gives him a smile, cracking a joke in the end.

Anything to make Luke happy.

The nurse comes and goes, promising their doctors arrival soon.

"I remember when I was twelve weeks with you," Ms. Hemmings cooed, not realizing how tense she made the room. "You finally looked more like a human and less like a blob."

"Wow, Mom, thanks."

Michael laughed. He crossed his legs over one another, looking over at Luke's mother. "I think we should be able to get a clear ultrasound today, I've been waiting for this forever."

Ms. Hemmings was uncomfortable with the father of her grandchild being only a decade and a half younger than her. She thought of Michael as an adult for so long, and now she wants to lecture him on what he's eating and what he's wearing and what his future holds.

Their doctor came in, asking simple questions and feeling around Luke's still small bump. Luke blush a deep shade of red when she started to ask about his and Mike's sex life, his mother was right there.

Luke caught a glance from Michael, seeing he, too, was blushing like mad. They were easily both about to explode from embarrassment.

"Twelve weeks and two days in," the doctor informed the room, "This is always a good one."

Michael watched their doctor with careful eyes as she started to spread gel over Luke's skin. He watched him flinch at the sudden cold material, a giggle leave the depths of his throat. Mike smiled slightly before scooting closer.

He put his hand in Luke's and suddenly it was just him and Luke. Nothing else mattered when Michael was with Luke. The simple grab of the hand made Mike feel so alive.

He never knew such a small teenager could make him feel so much.

The lights were shut off and the screen above Luke glowed. It took a few minutes until a recognizable figure was shown on the black and white page. Their baby.

A heartbeat was heard, and Luke wasn't sure if it was in his head. The sound of a beating heart always brought the emotional side of Luke out.

He gripped Michel's hand as he glanced over at him, both of their eyes glowing in the dark light. He smiled as he looked at Mike's happy presence listening intently to their doctor as she pointed out different things on the screens.

Their baby was still small, their legs barely having a bend in the knee yet. It looked so fragile up on the screen in front of them. Michael couldn't wait for the nine months to be over, he couldn't wait to hold It. He knew he was going to fall in love with Luke even more.

It took an hour for the appointment to finish. Ms. Hemmings had questions of her own about what Luke should be doing to make sure It stays healthy. Michael and Luke had to pretend to care, even though they just wanted to go home and nap.

Michael helped Luke from his skinny jeans the second they got back home.

"These things are hell," Luke whined as he finally got the cuff past his ankles.

Mike laughed and threw them on the ground of their bedroom, "Then buy some proper clothes."

"Can I just wear your clothes for the rest of the year?" Luke jumped behind him, landing in the middle of their bed.

"Are you calling me fat?" Michael asked. He stripped down to just his undershirt and boxers, crawling next to Luke and pulling him up to his chest. He wrapped his arms around the thin boy, letting him nuzzle his nose to his chest.

"Yes," Luke teased, "I am." He reached out his hands, poking at Michael's stomach. He looked up, craning his neck to kiss his partner's chin. "You're not fat, you're just fluffy."

"You're just digging yourself into a really deep hole right now, Luke."

Luke took in the feeling of Michael holding him close, one arm around the crook of his neck and the other holding Luke's torso pressed tight against his own. "I love your tummy."

Mike laughed, the vibrations causing Luke to laugh, too. "I love your tummy, too." He reached between their bodies, pressing his hand flat against the tiny bump that adorned their child.

The younger blonde closed his eyes, letting Michael rub Luke's belly. He was out fast, his breaths slowing down as his sleeping body accidentally kicked Michael a few times. Nothing new.

Michael ran his hand through Luke's hair, looking down at him with love in his eyes.

(a/n) i'm photographing four shows this week and i'm so sick that it hurts to move. This Is Fine.