forty four

forty four

Michael called his mother, he was refusing to cry yet. Luke was knocked out but he could still hear the scrambling of nurses around them. Everything faded out, his ears only hearing the dial tone.

"Baby!" She cooed, "Is my grand-baby here?"

Mike's lip quivered. "It's a still born," he whispered.

"What?"

"It wasn't born, Mom." His back hit the wall as he fell slowly to the ground, his knees to his chest. "They're doing tests galore and Luke passed out but they're still in surgery with him."

"Oh, my God," her voice was muffled, Michael knew she had her hand to her mouth, trying to accept the sentences coming from his mouth.

Mike ran a hand over his tearful eyes. "Yeah," he responded.

"Honey, I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say."

The brunette shrugged. "I don't know what to say, either. Just wanted to inform you and Dad that," he paused, "Yeah. Worse case scenario happened."

"Is Luke alright?"

"They started to do the whole take-out-his-organs thing and something didn't look right, so they put him completely to sleep and kicked me out of the operating room." Michael buried his face in his hands, his phone between his ear and neck. He felt terrible, so below terrible.

It wasn't just the fact that their baby is gone, it's that he couldn't even be there for Luke.

"So, he's gonna wake up in a few hours and he's gonna ask about it. I can't tell him, I told the nurses that I couldn't do it. They are."

"Mikey—."

"He's gonna be a mess and I don't know how to calm him down. This wasn't supposed to happen. This wasn't supposed to happen."

"I wish I could be there for you right now, I'll take the next flight out if you want—."

He shook his head, trying to take deeper breaths. "I think he and I should be alone for a while. I think we need that." Michael wiped his eyes once more, his mind pounding with a headache. "This wasn't supposed to happen," he repeated.

"It's alright, Sweetie. It happens, it happens. You two did nothing wrong, you did everything you were supposed to do. Some things just happen," she comforted.

Michael wrapped his arms around himself. "I want to be alone until Luke wakes up. Can I call you back tomorrow?"

Mike didn't listen for his mother's response. He couldn't help but to feel that if Luke were to fall in love with someone else it would have ended up fine. It's Michael's fault, he feels, it's always his fault.

He should have stayed away. He knew Luke was going to wake up devastated. He wasn't sure if the small blonde was ever going to get better after this.

This wasn't supposed to happen.

Luke woke up six hours later. Michael was awake, he immediately called for a nurse. Luke knew something was wrong. He could see it by his colorless lover, the way his green eyes were dull and bags under his eyes blue.

He cried. Luke cried a lot. Michael crawled into the hospital bed with him with his eyes freshly dried. He wraps Luke tight in his arms and rocks him back and forth for hours. His silent sobs mix in with Luke's. Michael didn't realize he was crying until Luke fell into a deep sleep.

Mike didn't start sobbing until he made sure Luke was asleep. He never let go of Luke, he held him closer to his chest. Mike kissed the forehead of his partner a few times, making silent promises to keep him safe.  

(a/n) sorry