thirty one

thirty one

"Lukey! You ready to go?" Michael called as he opened the front door. He pulled at his tie, trying to loosen his tight collar.

"Yeah, one minute!" The younger blonde called back. He buttoned his jeans, trying to roll them just underneath his belly before hopping down the stairs.

Mike smiled up at him, shaking his head and letting a laugh fall. He loves Luke. "Have you eaten yet?" He grabbed Luke's hand, admiring everything about him. From his hair fresh from the shower down to his twenty-week bump.

"Yes, I ate the entire fridge, sorry."

Mike laughed as he opened the front door once more, letting Luke pass through first. "That's alright."

"Have you eaten?"

"No, I'm skipping my lunch break for this appointment." He led him down to the elevator, their hands entwined tight.

"You always ate during class anyways." Luke got into the passenger seat of Mike's truck, automatically putting his feet up on the dashboard.

Mike got in the front seat, buckling up and starting up the engine. "What have you been up to?"

"Sleeping," he responded shortly. He leant his head against the window, watching the outside slip by.

"All you do is sleep."

"Well, sorry, I'm carrying your child."

Michael laughed. "Okay, okay. You got me there."

Michael and Luke left each other to their own thoughts as they made their way to their doctor. Michael was thinking about finances, and Luke was thinking about lunch.

Mike was happy at the spot he and Luke were at in their relationship and in their lives. He didn't mind that he went from a family of one to a family of about-to-be three. He was excited, he was ecstatic.

Most of his friends his age already had a kid or two, they had a house and a family. He felt like he was lagging behind. Suddenly, he felt as if he was in the right place in his life. He has Luke and It, he doesn't know how much else he needs.

Luke just really wanted some grilled cheese.

They arrived half an hour later due to traffic, lots of traffic.

A nurse was waiting for them when they finally walked through the glass doors. Luke hated walking in first, but Michael always held the door open for him. He was forced to greet the nurse and follow her back to an exam room first.

Michael was right behind him, though.

The younger blonde was never one to listen, not in school nor in doctors appointments. He simply expected Michael to listen to the important words falling from their doctors mouth and take it to affect.

Luke zoned in when their doctor began reaching towards him, preparing him for an ultrasound. His blue eyes were hazy from his open-eyed-nap.

Michael scooted closer, reaching over to grab Luke's hand. He entwined their fingers, his soft hands rubbing over the knuckles of his partner.

The room was darkened, the light screen above them lighting up.

"So, twenty weeks is always my favorite," their doctor said, "It's the first one where we can truly make out the features of your baby. Now we'll know you're giving birth to a child and not, like, a pig or something."

"It looks like a pig," Luke defended, referring to their previous ultrasounds.

"I've been in this business for twelve years and I have never once heard someone other than me compare their fetus to a pig." She looked up at the screen, her other hand waving the wand over Luke's large stomach.

Mike squeezed Luke's hand tight as their baby appeared on the screen. On instinct, he quietly cooed. "It's so tiny."

Luke let out a chuckle as he looked up at the screen instead of his partner's face.

"There's the nose," she pointed to the top of the screen, "There's the chin then its arms. You don't want to know the sex, correct?"

"Yeah," Michael responded, astonished by the picture on the screen. There was a warm fuzzy feeling in his gut and it felt amazing. He liked looking up at their baby, their baby, they created a baby.

Luke couldn't wipe the smile from his face. He couldn't come up with a single word to say. Everything was simply so amazing at that exact moment. Their baby was actually developing.
Luke remembers learning about genetics and everything in school. He always liked that unit—it was the only one he didn't fail. He always found it intriguing that a little bit of his father and a little bit of his mother created Luke. He had his mother's jaw and his father's eyes, he had his father's height but his mother's hairline.

Luke couldn't wait to hold It in his hands and be able to say it has Michael's this and Luke's that.

Luke held the print out of It Clifford in his hands. He didn't let go, not in the lobby or the passenger seat of Michael's truck. He held in closely in his hands, his eyes focused on every small detail in It's face.

Michael placed his hand on Luke's thigh once he got got back on the highway. He rubbed his hand up and down Luke's leg, squeezing lightly here and there. "So, we're running a bit late. Would you mind coming back to the school with me and I'll drive you back seventh period?"

Luke was pulled from his happy bubble. "What?"

"I have to teach Honors Geometry in twenty minutes. It's going to take twenty minutes just to get to the school."

The blonde looked up at his boyfriend. "I mean, I guess. I know the kids in your class, though. Like, they're only a grade below me."

"It's okay, they're too busy sleeping to notice you."

"Mikey, they're going to and they're going to call me mean names." Luke picked up his phone, knowing his mother would want an update photo of their baby.

"It'll be okay, I'll fight them. All of them."

"You can't fight them, Michael."

Michael took his hand off of Luke as he began the exit ramp. "Whatever. The point is they won't bother you."

"Fine."

Their classmates noticed Luke. They gave him the look, and Luke knew they were connecting the dots from his pregnant belly to sitting in Michael's classroom. He hated it.

(a/n) my friends make me sad so i'm updating early. tell me a funny story, you guys are my best friends.