fifty

fifty

Last July, Michael and Luke were on their way to California, ready to escape their suburban town to the beach house of his parents.

This July, everything was a lot different. It was quite the opposite.

Michael stayed in his loft, sitting on his bed. Half of everything was gone, half of him was gone with all the brown boxes Luke took.

They were not engaged, they were not together. Luke was home, where he belonged. He was about to leave in Ashton's car, the last few boxes packed away. It was hurting him, even though this was what Luke needed.

Mike could hear the front door open, Luke placing the spare key in the bowl on their foyer coffee table once more. This would be the last time Michael would hear the sound of Luke coming home.

He could hear his Converse walk up the carpeted stairs, his footsteps still light but creaking with each step.

Michael continued to stare at the ground, his glassy eyes watching the footsteps of his ex-lover stand in front of him.

"I'm leaving now," Luke said quietly. He swallowed a lump in his throat and wiped his wet eyes with the back of his thumbs.

"Okay," he responded, closing his eyes.

Luke took another step forward, putting his right hand on the back of Michael's head. He leant down, kissing the top of his brown hair. "I'll see you around." He took a step back, hoping Michael would look up, at least acknowledge him.

Mike nodded, even though he knew it wasn't true. He knew he wouldn't see Luke again, he knew that was just Luke trying to be nice.

Michael was beyond infatuated with Luke and would continue to be completely and utterly in love with the small blonde boy for the rest of his life. He would never feel content with falling asleep alone or waking up to an empty, cold side of the bed.

"Michael?" Luke called, only taken one step back. "I love you."

The older man shook his head. "I need you to go now."

Luke bit the bottom of his lip, his jaw quivering once more. This is what he needed, he told himself once more.

With tears in both of their sets of eyes, they parted ways. This time for good.

Everything changed. Pain changes people. 

And that's how it ends. That how Luke & Michael become Luke and Michael.

THE END