Chapter 18: All On My Own

Kristy's POV:

Sam, Dean and I are having a rare moment of peace between us. But, of course, I know better. This is just the calm before the storm. Dean is keeping Sam at a distance and I can understand why. Dean's faith in Sam hasn't been shaken, it's been shattered. Family is the most important thing to Dean and ever since Sam chose Ruby over Dean, Dean hasn't been the same.

This effectively puts me in the middle of the two. While they love my dad, he's in the hospital and I'm always on the road with the two knuckle-heads. When they have their fights, I'm always caught in the middle, because who else are they going to turn to? So now Sam is coming to me for company and unwavering trust and Dean's coming to me for comfort and dependability.

In any case, I still don't get to sit in the front seat of the car because Dean refuses to let me drive if he's well and able to because, and I quote, I 'either drive like a maniac-no a paranoid cat on steroids, or a 200 year old granny in a minivan'. And Sam is too tall to fit back here like I do. He would sit there if I asked-because he's super sweet-but he'd be miserable the entire time and I'm not that cruel.

"Have either of you talked to dad yet?" I ask, leaning forward between the seats, chewing on a piece of Trident strawberry layers.

"No, have you?" Sam answers.

I shake my head.

"That's what worries me. I mean, the hospital would've called me if something happened, right?"

Sam nods.

"Of course," he reassures me.

I lean over and turn on the radio. Nothing. Is. On. And I check through all the stations twice. Dean goes to put in one of his rock tapes back I smack his hand away from the tapes before he can.

"Nuh, uh. No more AC/DC. If I have to listen to Highway to Hell one more time today, I will kill myself and then you."

He sends me a sour look, his best pouty face in place.

"Yeah? Well what do you suggest we listen to, then?"

I beam at him.

"I thought you'd never ask."

I go into my backpack and pull out my ipod and set it to the hook up on the stereo. Ellie Goulding begins blasting from the speakers and both the boys give me the most hysterical, horrified, hateful look I've ever seen. Laughing, I pause it and set it to my most general playlist that the boys can stomach. Once Imagine Dragons is safely blaring at us from the speakers, they actually begin singing with me.

I'm absolutely electric after seeing Cas alive again. So, of course, I'm wailing at the top of my lung with my two tone deaf brothers, enjoying this breif moment when we actually feel like siblings again.  When we finally reach the hospital, I turn off my ipod and follow the boys inside hospital.

"Well you better fix it! Tell me I won't be able to walk again..." we hear grumbling from room 127 as we're arriving at dad's room.

A very startled looking doctor comes rushing out of the room. I chuckle. Dad generally has that affect on people.

When I enter I have to bite down on the inside of my cheek to keep from showing any emotion at the sight of dad in a wheelchair. He has this pissed off look on his face, but I can tell how upset he is with the news. Dad not able to walk again...that's more than a little horrifying for me.

"Daddy," I say coming over to hug him.

He accepts, thankfully, and when I pull away I swiftly look toward the boys so that dad won't see the look on my face.