26: Athena

Mind weighed down by thoughts of the past, Athena padded silently through the hallway. It seemed more often than not, she was plagued by nightmares. Whether she was walking or sleeping seemed not to matter.

Survival.

Pixie had all but spit it at Jax, her painful outburst striking deep with Athena. All that stood between the rebellion and destruction was her magic. Without her, the prophecy would never be fulfilled.

When the green-eyed angel ascends to the throne of God.

Right now Athena felt anything but angelic. She could barely control the volatile energy that seethed within her. What if she hurt someone - no, she couldn't think that way. What had Papa told her? Too much worry would put her in an early grave.

"Do you know what happened?" Jax asked from behind her.

Athena didn't want to face him - to look into eyes that had never seen true horror. Eyes that he wouldn't be killed for.

"No." Athena replied, unable to help the irritation from leaking into her voice.

Jax wasn't the problem. He was actually a nice guy with a decent heart - but it was what he represented. A life of luxury. Athena couldn't help the bile that rose in her throat at the idea of Jax playing swords while she'd been starving on the streets, flinching at every sound.

"Okay..." He sighed, lengthening his stride until he walked beside her.

Athena ignored him, following Iris. The kid was dressed once again in clothing several sizes too big, her brown ponytail swinging as she led them to the others. Athena wondered how someone so young had found their way to the central base of the rebellion. Few were allowed to know the location, and those who did were often strong enough to withstand being captured. Whether by death, or torture, they didn't look kindly on traitors.

Caught up in her own speculation, Athena nearly ran into Iris when she stopped. The young girl stepped aside, one arm sweeping wide to fling the door open for them. Muttering her thanks, Athena stepped into the council room - remembering the day she'd been told about her field mission.

Not much had changed, except for the faces. Grayson still sat near the center, his head bent over a bundle of paperwork. Ignoring the leap in her pulse at the sight of him, Athena examined the others. Brayden and Alicia, affectionately nicknamed the twins, were nearly identical in looks but opposite in personality as twins tended to be. Grace was her usual ice queen self, but Athena noticed it when Jax looked at her - Grace melted. Everyone was present, the atmosphere tense as she and Jax sat. Grace leaned over to whisper something to Jax, drawing a smile from his previously somber expression.

Before Athena could ask Jax what Grace had said, Grayson cleared his throat. Athena watched as he shuffled the papers around, his deep blue eyes sad when he finally looked at her. A vice closed around Athena's throat, making it hard for her to speak. She knew that look - had seen it countlessly through the years. Something terribly wrong had happened.

"This message was just sent to us from our contacts near the compound." Grayson began, his hands resting atop the paperwork as he spoke. "It seems the King's brief hiatus has been broken. He's started raiding the homes surrounding the compound, killing viciously without warning. All non-muds left alive were captured."

Athena felt Jax tip his head toward her, and before he could ask aloud what muds were, she squeezed his leg under the table. She'd let him in on the slang later.

"They're being loaded onto large buses and taken to an unknown location." Grayson's frustration at their lack of knowledge leaked into his voice, and Athena felt her hand tightening reflexively in understanding.