1: Jax

Stars danced in front of his eyes as Jax struggled to orient himself after a vicious punch sent him tumbling to the ground. The cold, uneven stone of the courtyard rushed to meet his flesh - connecting with a loud smack that left him reeling. Jax felt the blood seeping from a wound above his eye, clouding his vision, but he paid no attention. His adrenaline levels were spiking, sending him into an instant roll in an attempt to avoid the steel-toed boot that was coming for his stomach. It missed him by a few inches, but Jax couldn't avoid the second one. Acid rose in his throat, and before he could help himself he was on all fours, retching into a bush. 

"You've grown stronger." Growled a deep voice thick with amusement. "But not strong enough."

With blinding speed, Jax hurled himself toward Simian - guard to the king and personal trainer to the prince. His blind hatred for the cruel man renewed Jax's strength, which he used to fling Simian back. Jax watched in a delighted haze as the older man tripped over a bench and sprawled into the bushes. 

"Enough." Called the all-too familiar voice of the King. 

Jax stiffened, letting out a grateful sigh before lowering himself gracefully to the ground, his long legs opening to form a V as he attempted to stretch his sore muscles. Blood still flowed sluggishly from the small gash on his forehead, but Jax used one of his sleeves to wipe his face clean as best as possible before turning to look at his father.  The king was attired as usual; charcoal black slacks that were tailored to fit his lean legs, and an airy white shirt to better display his fair skin. The dying rays of the sun cast Jasper in a glowing, almost angelic light - as if blessing him for existing. Jax tried not to roll his eyes. 

"Jax..." The king began, arms clasped behind his back as he watched the guard struggle to his feet. "You've been training for years, but you've never been able to defeat Simian, have you?" 

Jax shook his head, a dull red rising in his cheeks. Of course it didn't matter that Simian had leagues of experience on him; all his father saw was a disappointment. Jax often tried not to let his father's words bother him - but you could only grow so detached from a parent. 

"I suppose you're right." Jax couldn't help snapping back, rising from his seated position and stalking towards the door of the castle. "But it's only training - it's not a matter of life or death."

Throwing the oak door open wide, Jax stormed inside, briefly letting his temper get the better of him. He was too far, and too angry, to hear Simian's muttered words of contempt. 

"For now it doesn't matter, but I would watch yourself, little prince."

  Φ  

"As the Crown Prince of the New World, you have many responsibilities. First and foremost being your studies. Without a proper knowledge and understanding of the world in which you will eventually rule, how can you hope to succeed?" Ewan paused for effect, sucking in a deep breath before continuing, "Do you see now, Jax? You can't consistently be skipping classes. I can't constantly chase you around the castle. You're nineteen! An adult!"

Jax stared at the man, his eyes glazed. It was nothing personal, Jax just had absolutely no interest in the young teacher's constant nagging. Every year was the same thing; new tutor, same old boring information. You'd think since he was the prince, he wouldn't have to listen to the same propaganda year after year. Though Jax supposed it was his father's doing; the king had no real desire to share what he most likely deemed important information with his only son. Jax had long given up on the pursuit, choosing instead to focus his boundless energy on his weapons training.

"Jax!" The professor slammed his hand on the table, his round face turning an unattractive shade of red, "Have you listened to anything I've been saying?"