18: Athena

Athena's lungs were burning, but she couldn't stop. The brief encounter with the redhead who knew Jax had sent her into a panic. Lashing out with her magic, she flung the girl's slight form into a nearby tree, stifling her scream of surprise as she watched the redhead crumple to the ground.

"Oh god - good job Athena!" She quietly chastised herself as she dragged the girl's limp form into a nearby bush, making sure she was only unconscious before running off in the direction she thought was east.

That had been an hour ago. Now she was drenched in sweat, her thin teeshirt sticking to her skin, its rough fabric only adding to her discomfort. Darkness was falling like a blanket over the forest, smothering Athena as she trudged through thick underbrush, her hand held in front of her face to ward away stray branches. As she walked, she worried about the King, and the boy she had left behind.

Breathing labored, Athena leaned against the large oak next to her, trying to catch her breath. All around her was serene; she could hear the rush of water next to her and the chatter of birds above her head. Closing her eyes, she leaned back against the trunk and basked in the freedom of the breeze blowing against her face and tickling her neck. It was still odd for her to not feel the long tresses of her hair pressing against her back, but she was beginning to like the lightness of her new hair. When the doctors had sheered her locks, they had sheared away the scared little girl she had been before her parents' deaths. She was no longer Athena the child; she was Athena, the messiah. She was stronger, and braver than before.

These thoughts circled through her head, and gave her the strength to push away from the tree and continue on her trek to find the cave. She was relieved to find out her efforts hadn't been wasted, because moments later she came upon a small, well hidden cave in the wall of an outcropping of rock above the river. She gave a cry of relief, sprinting the last yards until she could duck into cave entrance. Looking around, Athena snorted in irritation. The 'cave' Jax had described was really a small hole in the side of a hill. She had no idea how either of them were supposed to fit inside without one standing on the another. Shaking her head, Athena huddled up next to one wall, her knees clutched to her chest. Determined to stay awake until Jax arrived, she battled the fatigue that set in, but was unprepared for how swiftly it hit her. Before she could stop it, her eyelids drifted shut, and she fell into a dreamless sleep.

Φ

Athena woke with a scream lodged in her throat. Leaping to her feet, ignoring the protest from her muscles, she lashed out at the large shadow in front of her. The fog from her brain had no time to clear before the figure caught her second punch and dragged her against their chest.

"God, Athena! It's me! Jax!" The shadow growled, gripping her wrist hard enough to bruise.

Blinking, Athena gazed up at the figure and watched as the shadow dissolved into the face of Jax - the boy who had saved her. She jerked back, her hands shaking. Jax noticed and loosened his grip, raising his other hand to pat her awkwardly on one shoulder.

"I didn't mean to scare you, but jeez, you've got a wicked right hook." He teased - at least that's what she thought he was doing.

Athena scrunched up her nose at his words, pulling away until she was pressed once more against the back wall, "Who even says wicked anymore?"

Jax snorted, choosing not to answer. Instead, he removed his backpack from his shoulder and tossed it onto the ground, wincing when something rattled loudly.

"Smooth." Athena chuckled, sitting once again.

Jax growled, placing his hands on his hips as he glared at Athena.

"You're one to talk - you've got to be one of the most ungraceful people I've ever met, Miss 'the tree root came out of nowhere!" Jax snarled back.

Athena's face burned as she remembered her rather flamboyant fall from earlier. The tree branch really had come out of nowhere.

"Whatever - you just shouldn't sneak up on me like that. Next time I might not pull my punch." She tried to add a little bravado to her words, but at a hulking five-foot-two, left something to be desired.

Jax smirked, keeping his distance from her and lowering himself to the floor. Only about a foot was really between them but Athena saw it as an ocean. She didn't have anything particularly against Jax - so far he had only done nice things for her - but they were from totally different worlds. 

Pulling her knees to her chest once again, Athena watched under lidded eyes as Jax slowly unloaded the backpack, revealing far less than she had expected. Dried meat, two canisters of water, and two thin blankets were all that was littering the floor by the time he was done.

"Is...that...all you grabbed?" Athena asked, her voice coming out as a hoarse whisper. She hadn't talked this much in weeks.

"Uh...yeah..." His words were cautious, as if he was unsure of his answer.

Athena crawled forward, her hand outstretched for one of the canteens. She picked up the small bottle, spinning it in her hands as she examined it. Her expression was carefully blank.

"Have you ever been camping before?" She finally asked, her tone neutral.

Jax shook his head, "No, I was never allowed to leave. Why?" He asked, his head tilted to one side. Athena sighed, rolling the water bottle back over to him.

"We only have water, a little meat, and two very thin blankets." The sarcasm in her voice threatened to burn him.

Jax didn't respond, his cheeks slowly turning red the longer he stared at the supplies. As she watched, the need to apologize for her tone grew, but she couldn't find it within her to say the words. Yeah, he was a prince, and had grown up surrounded by walls, but they were in the real world now, and Athena needed Jax to understand how dangerous things really were.

"You could have told me what to grab..." His words were mumbled as he swept the items back into the backpack, his expression blank, but Athena could still see the faded pink in his cheeks.

Athena grunted in response, not trusting herself with words. The darkness outside was fading, replaced instead by a golden glow that bespoke of the rising sun. Athena pressed herself closer against the back of the cave, her eyes screwed shut as a wave of terror hit her. I'm free, she chanted inside her head. Never again would she pace the floor of a small room, caged by someone who could kill her with a flick of their wrist. Her fate was her own, to do with as she wished.

But what did she wish?

Closer to the entrance, Jax brooded, his head lowered to rest on his folded arms. Athena watched him through narrow eyes that traveled over his profile with forced detachment. Jax looked nothing like his father. While there were similarities - their strong jaw and his pale skin - Jax had a softer look to him. Where his father was all harsh lines and brutality, Jax was warmer, full of a compassion that showed in everything he did. His hair was also darker, more of a dark chocolate with streaks of every color - meaning he must spend much time in the sun.

"Can I help you?" Jax growled, amusement in his eyes at having caught her staring at him.

Athena's eyes snapped up, her cheeks warming against her will. Not dignifying the situation with an answer, she scoffed, and then pressed herself closer to the wall. No matter how good looking Jax may be, she had to remember that he was the proclaimed Prince of the New World. He was the enemy, no matter how kind he had been to her.

"I'm going to get some sleep. I suggest you do the same." Athena whispered the words, her eyes already drifting closed. She heard Jax shift, but he remained on his side of the cave, giving Athena a peace of mind she hadn't known she could possess.