15: Jax

The sound of rapid gunfire echoed through the castle, and Jax was in the center of the chaos. Feet braced wide, shoulders straight and a gun in hand he easily worked his way through the targets that had been assembled. Each can, board, or jar was destroyed - pieces falling all around him like rain. He felt nothing for his talent; no pride or joy at the deadly accuracy he had worked so hard to perfect. Only rage bubbled inside of him, and Jax let it fester; growing until it choked him and would drive him to commit the ultimate act of betrayal against his father: treason.

"You're not a bad shot." Drawled a chillingly familiar voice from behind him.

Jax turned, face devoid of emotion as he looked upon Simian. The murderer stood a little ways away, feet braced wide and shoulders held back proudly - and for a moment Jax marveled. Simian was only a few years older than Jax; they'd practically been raised beside one another...and it was no wonder Jax could never live up to his father's ideals of a good king. Not when ruthless, always ready for violence, Simian was the man his father wanted taking the throne. Pride was the only thing stopping the king from denouncing his only son.

"But you're still not a good soldier." Simian sneered, running a hand through his oily brown hair.

Jax seethed, fingers clenching around the gun still in his hand - how easy it would be to raise the weapon and take the revenge he so sorely wanted. Simian saw the movement, and arched one arrogant eyebrow in response - never one to need a second opening, Jax brought the gun up.

Blindingly fast - almost unnaturally so, Simian moved forward and knocked the gun from Jax's hand; Jax immediately stepped back, fist lashing out and connecting to Simian's jaw with brutal force. The man did nothing but grunt, brown eyes feverishly alight as he danced forward, limbs working in graceful tandem as they fought. They were equally trained, but Simian had brutal force on his side and Jax was soon bloody and bruised.

"Stop!" Someone screeched.

The sound distracted Jax and before he could blink, he was face-first on the ground. Simian gave his arm a painful twist before stepping off him. Jax shoved himself to his feet, noting with pride that Simian has several gashes and a black eye that was already darkening.

"Are you alright?"

Jax turned, stunned to see Erin standing beside him dressed in her maid uniform. It was rare for them to see each other when she was working because Jax knew her route and tried to avoid it. For a moment, he merely stared at her unable to think of a proper response when he saw a brief movement from the corner of his eye; before Jax could react, Simian backhanded Erin and sent her tumbling to the ground.

Simian leaned down and snarled, "You should know better than to speak to your superiors, tainted one."

For a moment, Jax only saw red and was filled with a fury so raw it blinded him - but before he could move to check on Erin or rip Simian limb from limb, other voices drifted over. Simian turned his head briefly, giving Erin an opportunity to shoot Jax a glare that he knew well: don't do anything stupid.

"Many apologies." she mumbled weakly, avoiding eye contact with both boys as she stood and immediately began the trek back toward the kitchens.

As if they hadn't been fighting viciously only moments before, Simian strolled away toward the voices echoing from the garden, Jax left behind. Shaking from the adrenaline in his system and the volatile emotions inside of him, he turned and began to walk aimlessly. The ground beneath his feet eventually turned from concrete to soft grass and before Jax knew it he was standing in front of his mother's grave.

HERE LIES BELINDA HARPER
QUEEN AND MOTHER TO A COUNTRY
BLESS HER SOUL

He traced the familiar words with a fingertip, his heart thudding painfully in his chest. So much loss in such a short life; his mother had suffered for decades under his father's thumb. The injustice of losing her still burned like a torch inside of him. Losing Basil had been a tipping point; rocking Jax's world on its axis and forcing him to reevaluate how he wanted to live.

Bitterness toward his father was all consuming and nearly painful in its intensity as Jax continued to stare at the stone slab that represented all that was left of his mother. Everything she had been - joyous, wonderful and vivacious, had all been reduced to nothing. Death had robbed her of individuality - would Jax let his father do the same to others? Gritting his teeth in frustration at the tears gathering in his eyes, Jax stuffed his hands into his pockets, seeking a distraction.

It was offered to him in the form of a pocket knife and an idea that made his skin tingle; with deft movements, knowing he didn't have much time, Jax knelt on the damp earth and began carving words beneath the inscription.

IN MEMORY OF BASIL ARRELLIO
MOST HONORABLE OF GUARDS
FATHER TO SOME
MAY HE FIND PEACE AMONG WARRIORS

Φ

Footsteps echoed in the cavernous library, startling Jax awake from his prone position on a table. He quickly straightened, brushing off bits of dirt and grass from his clothing hastily. After his brief stint in the cemetery, his pervious fatigue had caught up with him viciously. He only made it as far as the library before collapsing and immediately falling asleep.

Now he watched as Ewan rounded the corner, arms full of books to the point where Jax could only spot a fluffy portion of his hair above them. Fighting the urge to sigh, Jax pushed himself to his feet - tremors instantly rocking through his body as his sore muscles protested.

"Er - Ewan, do you need help?" Jax called out, hoping the scholar wouldn't.

A choked cry followed Jax's word, and he watched as Ewan stumbled - books tumbling from his arms and slamming into the ground with a mighty crash. Jax let himself sigh heartily before forcing his stiff muscles into action and walking over to help the younger man pick up his things.

"G-Goodness." Ewan stuttered, face red as he stooped to pick up the tomes. "I didn't even see you there - well I don't normally expect to see you in here, especially alone considering your allergic reaction to knowledge. "

Jax snorted, scooping up the majority of the large books and depositing them on a near by table. Ewan placed his own two books much softer, his eyebrows lowered in concentration as he shifted through them.

"Drat - I must have forgotten the - "

Reaching out and clasping the tutor's shoulder, Jax gave a deep heartfelt sigh before whispering. "Be careful, Ewan. Things are going to change and you need to be aware."

Eyes wide, Ewan attempted to respond but Jax just patted his arm and turned to leave, one hand raised in farewell for what he knew to be the last time.

"You're a good guy, Ewan. Don't let my father corrupt that."