17: Jax

Jax crashed through the bushes, his breathing labored as he tried to outrun fate. He could hear the two guards chasing after him, cursing and calling out commands for him to stop. The men hadn't seen him, or they would have ceased in their pursuit. What true harm could the prince do?

The thought brought a smile to his lips as he began slowing down. Jax debated on whether or not he should just turn around and give himself up. At best, he would have to deal with his father. At worst, they would shoot him.

Thinking about it, he decided to flip the two.

"Fire!"

Bark exploded to his right, showering over Jax. With a strangled scream he flung himself to the left, his legs pumping as he increased his speed. He easily put distance between himself and the armor heavy guards, bursting from the woods and sprinting toward the window he had left open in his wing of the castle. No time to think of other routes, he flung himself straight through the open space, crashing to the floor with a groan. Seconds later, he could hear the guards emerge from the trees, their breathing as labored as his own.

"This way!" one shouted.

Jax lay on the floor, trying to control his breathing as the guard's footsteps faded away. Moments passed in blissful silence before his heart slowed enough for him to breath regularly. Realizing he was safe for the moment, Jax sat up, pulling his sweat soaked shirt off in one fluid movement and tossing it toward the closet. Muscles bunched as he pushed himself to his feet and walked toward the shower. It wouldn't be in his best interest if his father came upon him while he was so dirty - he was, after all, supposed to be sleeping.

Φ

A loud thump echoed through the spacious room like a crack of thunder.

Jax shot from his bed, a blanket clutched to his waist in an attempt to cover his nudity.

Another thunderous crash brought him to his feet.

"What in god's name.." Jax growled, rubbing his eyes with his free fist. The sky outside was clear, but his heavy drapes stopped the sun's rays from invading his room. After showering, he had fallen into a deep sleep, refusing to let his mind wander over all that he had put into motion. Now, as his mind slowly cleared from the hazy sleep, he looked around his room in alarm, unable to find the source of the noise that had woken him.

A third loud crash brought his attention across the room.

Jax looked at the wall he shared with his father, confusion writ on his face. Never in all of his life had Jax head his father raise his voice, yet as Jax neared the wall someone was definitely bellowing fit to wake the dead. Pressing his ear to the wall, he settled in to listen to King Jasper's tirade.

"She's escaped! I cannot tolerate such incompetence - she must be found at any cost, and when she is found, I want her killed. Keeping her alive has become too dangerous. If she was to return to the rebels there is no telling what havoc she will wreak. She can now use her magic - if anything we've made her far more dangerous than she was before."

The sound of something smashing into the wall was evident - and painfully loud.

Jax jumped back, startled to realize his father was throwing things in his rage. Eyes wide, Jax pressed his ear back to the wall.

"She must be captured." Jax could imagine his father running his hands through his hair, "Why are you all still here? GO!"

Silence fell as Jax pushed away from the wall, his hands shaking over what he had just heard. His father had ordered the death of an eighteen year old girl - because she was a threat to his power. Jax hadn't wanted to believe the case reports he had discovered in the King's office. Reports of mass relocation and genocide had filled all the folders - all because they didn't know how to control those with magic. Jax had tried to rationalize the murder - perhaps they were awaiting approval from the King, which his father surely wouldn't grant.

But now he knew. The veils were ripped from his eyes, and he saw with extreme clarity the man his father was. A cruel and vindictive man, he would crush anyone who would dare get in his way. Jax knew then that he had done the right thing by freeing Athena. The man everyone called King didn't deserve the power he had, and Jax knew he couldn't remain here anymore. It would be found that he had broken into the King's office, and taken the files that proved his villainy. Jax had no doubt that his father would squash him if his betrayal was ever discovered. Better to have a dead Prince, than a traitorous one.

Turning, Jax let the sheet drop, and then made his way to his closet. He would dress befitting his title, as his father always wanted, and pack. Today, he would be the perfect son - but tonight he would be the man Basil had always wanted him to be.

Φ

"Jaxie? Why are you so quiet?" Sierra asked, crawling into Jax's lap. Sierra was the most painful part of his plan. There was no way he could take her - he and Athena would be traveling through the slums, and having a little girl would only put them in more danger. Thankfully, the King loved Sierra. He would never harm the little girl who was a perfect image of his deceased wife. This was the mantra Jax repeated to himself as he pushed the stray lock of hair from his sister's eyes.

"I love you Sierra, no matter what, okay?" Jax whispered the words against her hair, pulling her tight against his chest. He would come back for her, when things were safer.

"I love you too! You're my favorite brother!" Sierra giggled at her own joke.

"I'm your only brother - I better be your favorite!" Jax smiled, flipping Sierra so he was cradling her in his strong arms. Jax shoved his face next to hers, growling deep in his throat.

"Aaaah! Don't eat me!" Sierra laughed, trying to squirm away from Jax's tickling.

Someone cleared their throat behind Jax, who in turn froze. Sierra, ignoring the tension in the room, peered over Jax's shoulder.

"Daddy!" she squealed, jumping from Jax's arms and running to their father. The King leaned forward, scooping a giggling Sierra into his arms. He kissed the top of her head before turning his attention to Jax, who stared back, his expression blank.

"Aren't you supposed to be in class?" His father's tone was chiding; he was back in the loving father mood - but Jax was sick of living with someone so emotionally volatile.

Jax shrugged, "I didn't feel like it."

He stood, walking over to drop a kiss on Sierra's head. He ignored his father's irritated expression.

"Jax, if you ever want to be a successful King, you must attended to your studies, and learn about your kingdom." The king growled, good mood disappearing.

And kill off the subjects that scare you. Jax managed to keep the bitter thought from his tongue, inclining his head to his father instead.

"Miss Sierra, we must begin - oh! Your Majesty, I-I didn't see you there." The mousy maid's cheeks turned a pretty pink before she dropped into a low curtsy.

King Jasper straightened, swinging Sierra back onto her feet. He cleared his throat before addressing the servant, "Don't worry, Miss, I was just about to lead my son back to his classes." He dropped a kiss on Sierra's head, then clasped Jax's shoulder and led him from the room. They walked in silence, each unwilling to speak first.

Finally the King cleared his throat, "Jax, I've been meaning to talk to you. I know you and I have been at odds for...most of your life, but things are going to change, and I'm going to need to you step up as more of a figure against the rebellion. You're the youthful face of this country, and I need you to start acting like it."

Jax struggled to keep his face impassive, and succeed save for the twitch in his right cheek, but the king was too busy thinking of Jax's future to notice. It took a moment for Jax to make his jaw work, but by the time he was ready to respond, they were at his father's office.

"I'm glad we spoke about this," The king said, patting Jax's shoulder before reaching to open the door. He was half into his office when he turned around, "Get to class, I wouldn't want you to miss an important lesson."

Jax grunted in response, already halfway down the hallway. He paused at the corner, waiting to hear the office door shut before turning back around and walking to his own room. His father's words brought a small smile to Jax's lips. He had learned an important lesson: people were rarely what they seemed.