28: Athena

Sliding the magazine into her gun for the seventh time, Athena tried not to think about the violence that lay ahead. Grayson sat beside her, one hand resting lightly on her knee. It had been a month since their kiss, and while they hadn't necessarily spoken about their relationship, Athena knew that something lay between them. Though what it was would have to be discovered later.

The silence within the bed of the truck was tense, and with Jax driving in the cab there was a noticeable lack of the easy sarcasm that sometimes flowed between all of them. As if reading her mind, Grayson flashed her a smile that didn't quite reach his pale eyes.

Athena tried to smile back, but only managed to grimace.

The ride was bumpy, and they'd already been traveling for several hours. Athena's muscles were screaming in protest against being so tense, her face cold from the wind whipping at her hair.

A tap against the glass dividing them from the cab drew her attention away from her complaints. Jax was waving for one of them to slide aside the partition. Pixie leaned forward to do so.

"We're about five minutes away." Jax said the second the divider was removed.

Athena felt the truck began to slow, pulling to the side and slipping into the easy coverage of the nearby forest. Glad to be able to move, she quickly slid out, stretching her arms high above her head.

The others followed, forming a loose circle around her, all stretching their muscles as she was. Vests creaked, and weapons shifted, drawing Athena's attention right back to her most pressing problem: the firearm at her side. Just touching the gun brought back painful, almost unbearable memories that she couldn't erase. But Jax had insisted she learn how to use one - almost to the point of tying one to her. He'd been relentless, hounding her constantly to come train with him. Athena was a better shot because of it - but the weapon was tainted. She couldn't hold one, let alone fire one without thinking of her father.

And that was a breakdown waiting to happen.

"We'll walk from here." Jax whispered, pulling the gun from the holster on his hip.

Grayson and Thorn mirrored him, each making adjustments that made no sense to Athena but seemed to meet with everyone's approval. She glared at Pixie with envy - because she wasn't forced to carry a gun. Jax had declared it unnecessary because of how quickly Pixie destroyed anyone in her way.

Jax cleared his throat, eyeing Athena expectantly. She still hadn't drawn her gun.

Sighing, Athena pulled it from the back of her waistband where she had it tucked away. Jax nodded his approval, shifting as the energy around them changed. Athena felt the familiar adrenaline spike - dreading it nearly as much as she looked forward to it. The nervous rolling in her stomach quieted, and her hands seemed to stop shaking as she accepted what was happening.

This was war, and Athena was prepared to win at any cost.

Φ

Jax raised his fist in the universal sign for them to stop. Athena froze, her gun pointed to the ground as she strained her ears to hear the signal. Brayden was supposed to set off a small explosive within a mile radius - so they could sneak in undetected while the outside guards went to investigate.

Minutes ticked by, but still no sound. Athena was beginning to sweat. She could feel the fear racing across her skin, settling in her chest like a stone. Something bad was going to happen - she could feel it deep in her soul. Instinct had kept her alive in the slums, and Athena trusted hers inexplicably. She shifted forward, ready to say her fears when suddenly the silence around them was disturbed.