31: Jax

Soldiers filled the hallway like ants, tripping over one another in the haste for violence. Cursing, Jax ducked behind a corner, reaching into his pockets for a magazine of ammo. He quickly reloaded, hands falling into the familiar rhythm. Though his heart beat heavy in his chest, Jax was breathing evenly, trying to enter into a calm state of mind. They were heavily outnumbered, his odds of living through this encounter dwindling with every soldier that crowded into the hallway. Erin stood next to him, body shaking as she stared up at Jax with fear-filled eyes. Though she looked similar enough to the girl Jax had left behind, he could tell she was different. Pain had changed her, ripping away the innocence and love that used to fill her eyes. Jax tried to shove his emotions deep down, but he couldn't help the tide of pain that filled him; he had failed her.

Peeking around the corner, Jax noted that the soldiers were halting at the opposite side of the hallway, huddling around and drawing their weapons until they were a united front. Most sported heavy armor, their eyes fathomless beneath their helmets.

"You need to stay here." Jax said, pressing his back firmly against the wall before he could be seen. "When I go around the corner, you need to run Erin - as fast as possible. Go outside, and don't look back."

Jax didn't hear Erin's response if she made one, his attention too focused on the gun in his hand. He had one magazine left, so every shot needed to count. The soldiers legs were far less padded, Jax knew from his brief stints in armor. So knee shots were the best bet they had of giving Athena a head start. Grayson waved for Jax's attention from the other corner. They stood against the opposite corners, both weapons drawn as the heavy footfalls of the soldiers came to a stop. Grayson mimed for Jax to follow him into the hallway; they needed to save Athena.

Jax nodded his understanding, gun gripped tightly in his hands. There were too many soldiers. Jax knew without a doubt he wouldn't be making it back to the camp. Too many soldiers and too little ammo - Jax knew he'd be riddled with holes before he could cross to the end of the hallway. Yet, the thought of death didn't scare him - it almost didn't feel real. Athena was locked in one of those rooms and her life far outweighed his. Without her, they would all die.

A strange sense of calm washed through Jax, and when he looked at Grayson again he saw the same acceptance and determination reflected in Grayson's blue eyes. Taking a deep breath and refusing to look Erin in the eye, Jax stepped back into the hallway. Grayson followed, shoulder to shoulder with Jax - protecting Erin from any stray bullets. The soldiers immediately began shooting, the acrid smell of smoke permeating the room.

Jax squeezed off a few shots before a bullet slammed into his vest, driving him to his knees and knocking the air from his lungs. Everything seemed to slow down after Jax hit the ground. Through all the noise and chaos, Jax had a brief moment of peace. He longed to see his sister one last time - to hold Erin and spar with Basil.

Another bullet sliced into Jax's shoulder, ripping apart his peace and bringing a pain so intense Jax saw only darkness for a moment. Fire was spreading its way down his arm - eating at everything in its path. Forcing his eyes open, Jax noticed Grayson was on the ground next to him, eyes glazed. Jax couldn't tell if his expression was from death, or a badly-timed vision. This was it - the end of everything. Jax wondered if he'd be able to see his mom for the first time in years - his mind feeling oddly detached from the hail of bullets tearing into his legs.

Consciousness fading, Jax felt his gun slip from his grasp, clattering against the floor. He was so close - the door was only a foot away. Athena had to be helped - had to be protected at all costs. Jax believed with all his heart that she was their salvation. Without Athena, the prophecy would never be fulfilled. Just when the darkness became overwhelming for Jax, the door slammed open and everything stopped.