27: Jax

The papers lay in a mess on the surface of the table, scattered like Jax's thoughts. He stood, bent over a particular map of the lab, jotting notes and circling various entry points. The group had discovered very early on that although Jax lacked stellar hand-to-hand techniques, all of his training hadn't gone to waste. He was quite talented at the strategic aspects of battle - knowing when to send in troops and what methods of attack would work best against the soldiers. It was presumed he was this knowledgeable because of his background as a guard, but Jax knew the years of training his father had insisted on were coming back to help him. Oh, how his father would burn to know Jax's knowledge was being used against him.

Initially, Jax had been surprised by how much he enjoyed the work. Basil had made sure Jax was attentive, and being able to apply his knowledge gave him a sense of purpose he'd lacked before. For the first time, Jax felt useful.

It helped that the task was almost mind numbing. He'd run through so many scenarios and written up so many plans in the last month, he was essentially just finalizing pieces to present to the council for general consensus.

The door behind Jax opened, wafting cold air against the back of his neck. Attention never shifting from the map, Jax muttered over his shoulder to the person entering - their heavy, dramatic footfalls a dead giveaway.

"Hey, Grayson."

A disgusted snort was all Jax got in response, the echoing footsteps fading as the person came to a halt beside him.

"You're absolutely no fun at all." Grayson grumbled, face petulant. "How did you even know it was me?"

"Intuition." Jax answered, his attention still focused on the piece of paper. "Go bother Athena, I'm busy."

"I'm actually looking for her." Grayson sighed, nudging Jax with his shoulder. "As if I'd come to hang out with you."

"Well, she's obviously not here."

"I can see that, jerk." Grayson growled, leaning forward to shove the paper Jax was examining off the table.

Sighing, Jax finally let his attention shift to Grayson, only to watch as he stalked from the room, arms crossed over his chest. So much for that. Stooping to pick up the paper, Jax reflected on how easily he had adjusted to life within the rebellion. Within the castle walls he had been raised, Jax had always felt caged - as if the life he led was a simple one, full of training and obeying.

Now, he was an active member of a community. Jax sought out the advice of the others, pushing himself to understand the lives around him with a passion he'd never before felt. With each passing day, he worked harder - growing in an environment he hadn't known existed several months ago when he'd sprung Athena.

Letting the paper flutter from his hand and back onto the table, Jax smiled. Though the war was far from being over, he was finally on the right side, fighting for something he believed in. Slowly, Jax carefully collected all of the papers. Assembling them into a thick stack, he bound them together and stuffed them into his bag. This was it - the finished plan of attack for the main group. With these papers, and the long hours of preparation the camp was undergoing to ready itself for the attack, they would all be ready perfectly on schedule.

Reaching for the door knob, unaware it was already turning in his hand, Jax stared uncomprehendingly when the door began to swing his way. Athena was revealed after a moment, and they stared at one another in surprise.

"If you're looking for your boyfriend, I sent him away."

Jax watched as Athena rolled her eyes, pushing past him as she made her way over to the now cleared table. Athena didn't look at him, choosing instead to pick at the sleeve of her sweater. Picking up on her tension instantly, Jax followed slowly.