9.

Life is a bit odd, sometimes it takes you to the point where you could be the happiest person and sometimes it takes you to the depths of the earth. I don't understand life, or maybe I just don't understand mine because that would be kind of unfair if I say that life in general is odd and indifferent.

The more I think about life itself, the more I could slowly understand why everything happened, why my parents have to die, why Nicholas came in my life and the whole sorts. Nicholas somehow made me understand everything one night in Christmas eve while we were sitting beside the window after he got home late.

The seriousness in your voice tells me that you know what you were saying, like you would do anything to help me understand to somehow change my views on life.

And for the record, you made a pretty good job Nick. You made me understand.

"What's your parents like?" You asked me as we sip our hot chocolate quietly, watching the snow fall.

"Nick." I said warningly.

"No I just- I just want to know what they're like as parents, how they treated you, if they treated you right." You explained.

You knew all along that discussing my parents is a very sensitive subject for me but then you opened them up again and I didn't have a choice but to answer.

"They're great, I guess. They treated me nicely, we were actually close. Me and my dad especially. I was an only child so I think they treated me as their princess and made sure that I got everything I wanted but I never was a materialistic person and I think that's what they liked about me the most."

"It was hard living without them you know, trying to find a perfect place to move on. Imagine it? Both of your parents gone with a snap of a finger. I really didn't know what to do after, my relatives were in Europe and I was left alone here, and so I decided to move here in New York because I think it's a really nice place, very comfy and I don't know, I grew to love this place more and more."

"Even though mom and dad aren't here anymore I still talk to them everynight, asking how they are up there. It was just painful, seeing them with my very own eyes, I just- I could actually see it right now."

We grew silent for a moment as you stared intently in my eyes, not saying a word or even a sound.

"You'll get through this. We'll get through." You promised before pushing your lips lightly against mine.

***

I waited as the cold air sweeps past my face. I drew out my hand and watched as the bits of snow hits the palm of my hand and slowly melts into water. I then placed my hands on the pocket of my jacket and closed my eyes and prayed. Prayed that this time you'll come.

Because I promised myself when you don't, I won't continue going here anymore. I made it a mental note and stuck to it.

But then the door creaked and opened revealing a man in a long black coat struggling to pull his beanie over his head against the stubborn wind.

I looked at him.

He looked at me.

And a single tear slipped down my cheek.

You came.