Chapter 8

~ 3 years later~

"Carter I will not ask you again! Why did hurt that boy?" I ask, glaring at my son from across the table.

"I dunno.." He shrugs, looking down at his lap.

I got a call halfway though the day because Carter decided to punch some poor boy in the face at school today. I had no idea my sweet little boy had the aggression in him to hurt someone else.

"You had to have a reason, now tell me." I yell me, slamming my hand on the table.

"Cuz he said I have a dad!" He yells at me, a tear falling from his face. My jaw drops.

"Baby..." I said, standing up to walk over to him.

"No he's wrong! I don't have a dad! He kept saying that I have a dad or else I wouldn't be here. He said that my dad isn't around because he doesn't love me!" He screams, tears streaming down his face.

"Carter....I...." I stutter, completely lost for words. How do you tell your 6 year old that you sent his father away years ago.

"No, I don't want to talk anymore." He says, running up the stairs to his room.

I sigh loudly, dropping down onto the couch. This is not the conversation I wanted to be happening anytime soon.

As I stare at I ceiling and think about Ryder, should I call him? Maybe if Carter knows his father, then it won't be so bad. But opening that door opens the door to everything else. I let the wolves back in, all the rumors in, and all the pain in.

I shake my head, nope. I'd rather live my human life with all my issues than my old life as a werewolf.

I decide to get up and be productive since I had to take off to pick up Carter. I wash some dishes, put a load in the washer, and vacuum the house before taking Carter to baseball practice. I walk to his room to tell him to get ready, only to find him asleep on his bed. I take a seat beside him.

"Baby, it's time to go to baseball. Wake up and change your clothes please." I say, rubbing his back as he stirs from sleep.

"Okay momma" he says, as he sits up and rubs his eyes. He goes to his closet and grabs his baseball uniform and puts it on. I wait downstairs for him, grabbing my purse and remembering to grab the list I made earlier, I deciding I was going to go grocery shopping while he was at practice.

"Momma I'm ready" he says, walking down the stairs with his baseball uniform on.

"Ok,go put on your shoes, and then we have to go or you're going to be late." I say, finishing writing my list.

We jump in the car and drive to the baseball field for practice. I know he is young, but since his wolf genes are so strong, his energy levels are through the roof for a six year old. In order to compensate, I enroll him in sports to keep himself busy. Also, his alpha genes don't help with him taking orders well, so getting him involved with coaches and other kids will help his stubbornness.

We get to the baseball field and I park the car to walk my son to where the other kids and his coach are. "Make sure you listen to Coach Mark, Carter." I tell him.

"Yes momma." He says, running over with his baseball bag and starts doing some stretches.

I watch them warm-up for about 10 minutes before heading back to the car to go to the grocery store. I don't have a lot to pick up, but I still don't like leaving his practice. I paid for baseball, not a daycare.

It's about a 5 minute drive to the grocery store, and I quickly park the car and get inside to start shopping.

As I push the shopping cart through the aisles, I can't help but feel something off. I look around, but see nothing. I continue shopping, grabbing Carter's favorite cereal before dropping it in the cart. However, as I make my way to the fruit aisle, I smell something, something very wrong.

Wolf, a rogue to be exact.

I casually look around to locate the rogue, trying to not make it look like I can smell them. I continue throughout the store, trying to get done and get out as quick as possible. I know that if I can smell them, they can smell me.

I quickly check out, and make my way back to the car. I expected the smell to start to fade away the farther I got from the store, but the smell kept getting stronger and stronger.

Just as I was about to reach the car, I hear footsteps behind me. Before I could get in the car, someone grabbed me and shoved me against the driver's door.

"Well hello there, Luna." The rogue growls, holding my neck.

"Let go of me, I am not your Luna!" I growl back, using all of my strength to get him to let go, but he doesn't budge.

"Oh but yes you are Luna. You just have to wait for your alpha to claim you." He smirks with an evil glare in his eye.

"You tell Ryder to keep the hell away from me!" I say, spitting in his face.

His smirk turns into a frown, "Who the hell is Ryder? Ugh, you are lucky the Rico said not to hurt you..." He replies, before squeezing my neck and shoving me hard against the car.

"Rico say be ready by midnight, he's coming to claim you then. Oh, and get rid of the boy, Rico isn't going to raise a child who isn't his...." the rogue says, letting my body fall to the ground as it tries to get oxygen back in my body.

Before I have a chance to compose myself and tell him to fuck off, he's gone. I quickly stand up, get in my car, leaving my cart full of groceries behind and speed back over to the baseball field.

Who the hell is Rico? I think to myself as I furiously drive back to Carter. If anyone hurts my baby they will have hell to pay....

I park the car and run to the field, looking my Carter among the team of boys. After frantically searching, I see him with his little helmet on, practicing hitting the ball off the tee.

I breathe a sigh of relief, but it is short lived. I can't stay at home anymore, whoever this Rico is, he is obviously trying to get me and will do anything he can to do it. And there is no way in hell I am going to give away Carter in order to be with that psycho....

You know what you have to do.... my inner wolf says

Shut up.

Practice ends and I quickly get Carter and head home. We get home and I immediately put him in the shower. While he is in there, I go through a box I never thought I would go though again.

I find that dreaded picture with that dreaded phone number on the back. Before I have a chance to think about what the hell I'm doing, I dial the number and hold the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"I have a problem, and I need your help."