Chapter 9

"Kara?" Ryder says, with a questioning sound to his voice.

"Yes, It's me. I don't have time to speak. Someone is after Carter and I. I need you to come now." I say, urgently and quietly. I know that stupid rogue said that Rico was going to come at midnight, but I didn't know if he had someone watching our every move.

"I'll be there in an hour. Be careful Kara." He replies and before I can say anything else, the line disconnects.

Fortunately, I'm glad I didn't have to talk with Ryder. I'm still not sure how I feel about asking for his help, but I have no one else, and I know I can't do this without backup.

I jog to Carter's room and quickly start packing a bag for him. I don't necessarily have time to be neat and organized, how I usually am with packing, so I just start throwing things in a duffel bag. The main things I remembered to pack was underwear and Carter's wolf blanket.

I hear little feet making his way back to his room, "Momma, why are you packing?"

I quickly hold up a finger to my lips, telling him to be quiet. I open my arms to him, as he runs into them. "We'r going on a trip, but we have to be very quiet." I whisper.

"Why Momma?" He whispers.

"Momma has a headache." I lie, not wanting to scare him. "How about you go put on some clothes and read a book until it's time to go?" I tell him, hoping he agrees.

"Ok Momma." He replies, and walks into his almost empty closet and pulls out underwear, a shirt and shorts and starts to put them on.

I nod in relief, before going back to finish pack his bag. I grab a couple of his favorite toys and his toothbrush before bringing his bag to the front door.

I rush upstairs to pack my things, equally rushing to pack my necessities. I throw in most of my casual and active wear clothes, I won't need business clothes wherever we're going. As I am going through my closet, I grab my gun and shove it in my jeans on the small of my back. Once I finished packing I called Sandy, telling her that I was going to be out of town for the next 2 weeks due to an emergency. She totally understood and wished me well. I also called Carter's school to inform them that he also going to be out of town for a while. They told me they would email me his homework so he wouldn't fall behind. Fall behind? Our kid is a genius. My wolf said, and I smiled to myself.

By the time I finish packing and made the phone calls, I have about 15 minutes left before Ryder is about to get here. I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs. However, just as I was about to drop my bag by the door, there's a knock. Who the fuck.....

I look over at Carter who is sitting on the couch with his book, I walk over quietly to him, with my finger in front of my mouth, "Carter you want to play a game? Go upstairs and hide under your blanket. But be very quiet." I say, with a smile.

He nods, before quietly running up to his room.

I turn around to face the door, grabbing my gun and slowing walking towards it. I look though the peephole and I breathe a sigh of relief.

I put the gun back in my jeans and open the door to the pair of warriors that Ryder assigned as my "bodyguards" a couple years ago. "Hi Gregg. Hi Lucas" I say with a smile.

However, there is not one smile between them. They are in full warrior mode. "Where's your son?" Gregg asks, looking in the living room and not seeing him.

"I told him to hide under his blankets." I say, and they give me a look. "Hey I didn't know who was at the door!" I say, leaving the door open before turning to walk back in the house.