Five

I now know one thing for sure...

I am completely and utterly screwed.

I try and cover my face with my cap. I'm instantly ashamed of myself. Why didn't I listen to him? Now he's going to be furious with me. It's my first day of living with him and I've blown it already. Great job, Patrick.

"Pat?" frowns Kevin. "What the fuck..."

His eyes hold a mixture of despair, hurt and utter shock. I'm the worst brother ever.

Pete looks at me, then Kevin, then me again.

"You two know each other?" he says, crossing his arms.

I bow my head, embarrassed and ashamed of myself.

I'm also slightly confused. Why is Kevin alone? He said he was going for dinner with some friends. Maybe his friend bailed on him, or the restaurant was closed. Or maybe he was coming home to check on me, and I repaid him by lying and ignoring his instructions...

"Yeah," snaps Kevin. "He's my little brother."

The group gasps, and a few people laugh. I turn bright red under the shadow of my cap. I don't see Pete laughing or gasping, though. He just looks awkward. I look up at Kevin sheepishly.

Kevin turns to me. "Patrick, what the hell are you doing here? I told you to stay in the apartment. And what are you doing with these people?! I warned you about danger in Wilmette..."

I look away from him. God, I can't even have eye contact with him without being stabbed with a million knives of guilt. I'm such a bad person. Why did I have to go out? Why couldn't I have just stayed in the apartment like Kevin told me to?!

"I'm sorry..." I whisper, but no one can hear me.

I attempt to look up at him again, but instead of looking at him, I watch someone from Pete's group sneaking round behind Kevin. I think my brother is going to get mugged.

"Kevin..." I start to warn him, but it's too late.

"HEY!" yells Kevin, spinning round to face the guy from Pete's group.

He's taken my brother's wallet from his bag and is now running off with it. Kevin chases after him furiously.

"COME BACK HERE, YOU ASSHOLE!"

Everyone in the group laughs except for Pete and myself, who look at each other awkwardly.

Kevin and the mugger play chase into the road. The mugger reaches the other side of the road. He waves Kevin's wallet around, laughing irritatingly.

"FUCK YOU!" yells Kevin, still running.

A car makes its way down the road, towards my brother. Kevin reaches the middle of the road just as the car does...

"KEVIN!" I scream.

And that's when it happens.