Sixteen

Through the days Pete and I develop a daily routine. School is as normal, and then we get a lift back from Andrew who sometimes seem a little off. When we get to the apartment Pete disappears into his room for a few minutes to "go do something". When he comes back we do homework together and spend the rest of the evening doing whatever.

I have no idea what he does in his room for those few minutes every day, or why he doesn't tell me what he's doing. But as long as he's not putting himself at risk, I'm happy. It's his room, his business, not mine.

-----

One Tuesday at school, during registration, the whole form is chattering amongst themselves - except me, because I'm thinking of Pete. Everything about him: his eyes, his hair, his smile, his makeup...

"So can you come?"

"Hmm?" I return to reality and remember that Hayley has been talking to me for the past five minutes. How rude of me...I wasn't listening to a word.

"Did you hear a word I just said?" Hayley sighs.

I shake my head. "Sorry."

Hayley sighs again and repeats herself:

"There's a party at my house on Saturday night, from 8 to midnight. Hopefully lots of people are gonna be there – I've invited everyone. Can you come?"

"You want me at a party?" I frown.

"Yes," Hayley grins. "C'mon, it'll be fun."

There a million things I want to ask. Why do you want me there if I'm so awkward? Is it going to be safe? Will there be alcohol? Is it a party where anyone can come? How big is your house? Will there be an adult supervising?

But my mouth comes out with:

"Is Pete going?"

Oh no. Now she's bound to know that I like him!

"I invited him," she says. "But only because I know you like him."

I feel myself blushing.

"And did he say he's coming?" I ask. I suppose there's no point denying it.

"Yeah, he said he has no plans Saturday night."

"Then I guess I have no plans either."

"So you're coming?"

"Yeah."

Hayley beams and glances over at Chad on the other side of the room, like she always does.

"Did you invite him?" I ask.

"Yeah," she replies. "And I think he's coming!"

I grin. "Good for you."

As I'm staring at Pete, he looks over at me and we share eye contact for a brief moment, before we both look away awkwardly.

After school, Pete and I wait for Andrew at the school entrance.

"Did Hayley invite you to her party?" Pete asks.

"Yeah, she did," I say.

"D'you wanna go?"

"...Only if you're going."

That was too obvious, wasn't it? Dang it!

Pete smiles. "Then yeah, let's go."