Twenty

Two days later, at school, I go to the playground at break with Brendon and Ryan. When we get there, we see a huge clump of sixth-years in the middle of the playground.

"Woah," Ryan says. "What's happening?"

"Whenever you see a crowd gathering in the middle of a school playground, you know some shit is about to go down," remarks Brendon.

Ryan agrees with a chuckle, and I suddenly feel a rush of worry. What if Pete's in trouble? What if he's done something? What if someone's done something to him?

"Let's go check it out," Ryan says.

We make our way to the centre of the playground. Just before we reach it, Hayley leaves the crowd and charges towards me, looking angry.

"Patrick," she snaps. "Please control your boyfriend."

Leaving me utterly blank, she marches into the school building.

Brendon and Ryan give me blank looks.

"What's wrong with her?" asks Ryan.

"Boyfriend?" asks Brendon.

I shrug. "I...I don't know."

There appears to be shouting coming from the middle of the crowd. I weave my way through the crowd to reach the middle, and see Pete and Chad arguing.

"Well, like I said at the party on Friday, you're just a faggot," Chad says.

"And, like I said at the party on Friday, that's hypocritical of you," Pete snaps.

Chad blushes and the crowd exchange frowns of confusion. Pete turns to everyone and speaks directly to them: "Oh, you don't know?"

The crowd continue to frown.

"Actually," Pete says, looking at Chad. "Of course you don't know."

He walks around the middle of the crowd theatrically.

"Our dear friend Mr. Gilbert," he says loudly, as if it's a big announcement, "is gay."

Chad bows his head, embarrassed. His face is red as a tomato. The crowd whisper amongst themselves.

"Well, he was. And so am I," he continues. He then notices how embarrassed Chad looks, and says to him, "Don't worry Chad, it's nothing to be ashamed of."

Chad doesn't lift his head, but glares at Pete icily.

"Why are you embarrassed? Are you scared this is social suicide? Well if you screw up, you don't need to worry about your social status. You don't even need to worry about school."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Chad frowns.

"It means," Pete says, shooting me a quick glance. "I was joyriding not long ago, and I may or may not have been stopped by a cop, and I may or may not have said that my name is Chad Gilbert."

The crowd gasp.

"Asshole," snaps Chad, lifting his head up to scowl angrily at Pete. "You didn't."

"I did," Pete grins. "Don't worry, I got no punishment. But now they've got your name on the record. You make a mistake now, you're gonna get it."

Chad clenches his fists, and I can actually feel his hatred. He's dying to punch Pete in the nose, or kick him until he's screaming. But he's not going to. At least, not now...

"You'll regret this, Wentz," Chad growls. "I swear, you'll regret this."

Chad gives him the middle finger and pushes his way out the crowd.

The crowd start to disperse, all chatting and gossiping about what just happened. Pete stays where he's stood, watching Chad walk away on his own. Once Chad's inside the building, Pete turns his head and sees me looking at him. Suddenly his face changes; it turns all sad and glum. I can tell his heart is sinking inside his chest, but why? He turns away and joins Andy and Joe, still looking upset.

I'm a little disappointed at what I just saw. Pete just announced Chad's sexuality to the whole crowd; it's not something you can just tell loads of people, especially if it's someone else's. So why did he? And why did he mention the joyriding?

Why was he so mean to Chad at all? It's not like he's homophobic...what history do they have?