Seventeen

Author's note: I'm so sorry it's taken AGES to update this story! I've been so busy with school stuff and exams etc, as well as extra commitments. I'm writing slower than I used to, but bear with me - I'm not giving up on this story!

Saturday arrives. As Pete and I start to get ready for the party I'm filled with a mixture of excitement and nerves (mostly nerves). I've never been to a party before. I've never been invited to a party before. I've always been too weird and dorky. But now I have friends who are willing to invite a weird dork like me to their house! My life has been one big rainstorm, but now the sun is out.

Pete's in the bathroom, probably putting makeup on or spraying his hair. I'm sitting on the floor in his room, and his song book is sitting next to me. Although it pains me, I'm feeling nosey. I'm filled with guilt as I find myself opening the song book and going through the brilliant songs once again. I stop on a page that says "DEAD ON ARRIVAL" in scrawled letters at the top, with a heart next to it. Why the heart? I quickly read the lyrics:

I hope this is the last time

Cause I'd never say no to you

This conversation's been dead on arrival

And there's no way to talk to you

This conversation's been dead on

A rivalry goes so deep between me

And this loss of sleep over you

This is side one

Flip me over

I know I'm not your favourite record

The songs you grow to like never stick at first

So I'm writing a chorus

And here is your verse

And I find myself thinking with immense joy that he's writing about me.

I'd never say no to you...Does he feel that way about me?

And there's no way to talk to you...Does he find it hard to talk to me? Does he get nervous like I do?

And this loss of sleep over you...Does he think about me as much I think about him?

I know I'm not your favourite record...Does he think I don't like him because he's too "dangerous"?

The songs you grow to like never stick at first...Could he be saying that he thinks I'll grow to like him?

Can't he see that I already do?!

"You ready?"

I immediately slide the song book along the floor in an attempt to hide the fact that I was snooping around in it. Pete's standing in the doorway, and oh my goodness he looks good. His hair and makeup are even more perfect than normal - I don't know why. He's wearing a grey shirt with three-quarter length sleeves, and a loosely worn black tie. He's also wearing black skinny jeans and on his feet are black sneakers. Did he steal all the good looking genes when he was little and forget to give me any?!

I look down at myself. I'm wearing a black and turquoise stripy polo shirt, dark grey jeans, sneakers and a cap. I look like such a dork. Why can't I be good looking like Pete? He could probably wear what I'm wearing right now and still pull it off. He could probably pull anything off...

"Yeah, I'm ready," I say, giving him a smile to cover up the guilty feeling from looking in his song book.

"Cool," grins Pete. "Shall we?"