Ten

The next morning, when Pete and I walk into the school grounds together, Andy and Joe call Pete over from just outside the building.

"I'll see you later," Pete says to me.

"Okay," I reply.

He walks away, and Hayley comes bounding up to me.

"I didn't know you come to school with Pete," she says.

"I don't," I say instantly. "Well, I do. I mean, we...we're living together..."

Hayley frowns. "You're living together?"

"He, um, agreed to take me in after the, uh, accident," I say. "I'm living in his apartment with him and his brother."

Hayley looks away from me and thinks to herself for a moment.

"Patrick, do you wanna live in my house instead?" she asks, finally looking back at me. "If I explain to my mom and dad, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. And it's bigger than an apartment, there's a spare bedroom you could stay in...I think you'd be better off with us."

It does sound like better accommodation – I wouldn't have to sleep on a couch, and there would be responsible adults in the house. With Hayley around, there wouldn't be any awkward moments and I doubt she fights with her parents like Pete does with Andrew.

But my gut reaction is to refuse. I don't want to live in Hayley's house – I want to stay in Pete's apartment. I don't know why. It's like there's some strange force keeping me there, making me want to stay.

I shake my head. "No, it's okay. Pete's is fine."

I feel my cheeks getting hot and pull my cap further down my forehead. In the background of my view, I can see Pete, Joe and Andy making their way inside the school building, laughing with each other. Pete looks around and we share a short moment of eye contact.

Suddenly Hayley's jaw drops and her eyes widen.

"Oh my God," she gasps. "Do you...like him?"

"What?" I frown, feeling my cheeks get hotter.

"Oh my God!" Hayley looks horrified. "I'm sorry, it's not my place to judge, but...since that awful OCK meet-up, I've lost all respect for that guy. I didn't have much to begin with, really."

"Hayley, I don't like Pete," I try to tell her.

She raises her eyebrows. "You don't?"

"No! Not in that way."

Hayley scrutinises me with narrowed eyes. I feel like a criminal being searched by a cop. When her little inspection is over, she cocks her head to the side and shrugs.

"Alright," she says slowly.

We make our way inside.

------

During registration after lunch, Principal Way comes in to give Mr Iero some papers. When Principal Way places the papers on Mr Iero's desk, Mr Iero doesn't stop looking into Principal Way's eyes, even though Way isn't looking at him. When Way leaves, Mr Iero stares at the door for a few seconds, then returns to reality.

"Sir," says Chad, putting his hand up. "Do you like dicks?"

Mr Iero frowns. "I don't like your language, nor do I understand your question, Mr Gilbert."

"Do you like penises?" Chad asks.

Some of Chad's cronies snigger to themselves.

Mr Iero's frown deepens. "I still don't understand your question, and I'm starting to lose interest."

"Oh my God, are you stupid?!" scowls Chad. "The question is, are you gay?"

My eyes widen. I expect everyone to look shocked, but nobody seems phased.

Mr Iero looks away. "I don't think that's any of your business."

"I saw you checking out the Principal when he was here," Chad grins. "Everyone knows you have a thing for him."

Mr Iero takes deep breaths and looks continually more awkward.

"Chad, I've already spent too much time with you. Don't make me give you another detention."

"Do you wanna have sex with him?"

My jaw drops. Now some people look a little alarmed, and Chad's cronies are laughing. Mr Iero turns bright red, but manages to stay calm and looks Chad right in the eyes.

"Mr Gilbert," he says plainly. "What do you take me for, a hormone-ridden teenager? I do not want to have sexual intercourse with the Principal or anyone else, for that matter. My sexuality and my interests have absolutely nothing to do with you, so keep your mouth shut unless you have something good to say."

Chad glares at him and leans back in his chair, folding his arms. I look to the back of the classroom. Pete is writing in his song book, and he's shaking his head with an amused look on his face. What could that mean? Is he on Chad's side? Or is he laughing at Chad?

I look at Hayley. "Is he actually gay?" I ask.

"It's a rumour, but it's a rumour that the whole school is pretty convinced about," she says. "Everyone seems to think he is, and he doesn't deny it."

Considering the rudeness Mr Iero just got from Chad, maybe it's better that I'm not gay.

Maybe.