Chapter 27: Even Better

Okay.

I liked this.

I really, really, liked this.

Waking up in the arms of a warm, sleepy guy? The way his strong thighs felt, curled into mine? His toned arm across my waist? His face nestled in my hair?

It was like I had all of the good things, all at once. I felt like I was cocooned in a fluffy, but supportive, pillow of comfort, and when I thought the word, "pillow," my mind started free-associating: it was like marshmallow sweetness, hot fudge sundae goodness, and a warm summer breeze that made you feel simultaneously alive and at peace. Above all, I felt safe in his arms, as if nothing could go wrong, as if I were finally at home.

Yeah, I was totally falling in love with him.

This damaged, complicated, sweet man. Protective of me, attentive, caring. And the way he embraced the fact that I had a son? Amen and hallelujah. His artistic talent, his nobility. And the practical stuff, too: he was pleasant to be around, chatty, helpful. He didn't snore. He didn't kick. He just peacefully slept, holding me.

Love.

I was totally in trouble.

I think that because I stirred, I woke him up, since he squeezed me, holding me closer to him, and muttered "Morning," into my hair. I flopped over to look at him, and brought my hand up to run my fingers along his morning stubble.

After a moment of leaning into my hand, he spoke.

"You are so beautiful, first thing," he started, "and all day."

I turned my head away.

"No, really. I just am grateful to have your beauty to look at. And you in my bed? It's fantastic." He paused. His eyes darting around my face. "I was thinking," he continued, "do you want to go look at my house? See the progress on construction?"

Again, being invited into his world; this was very cool. "Yeah, I'd like that, but we have to be back before it's time to pick up Rob."

"We can take him with," he said. Even better.

"You're not going to work?" I asked, and then immediately regretted it, because he stiffened.

"Shit."

"Does that mean 'cancel'?"

"No. That means we do not cancel. But yeah, I will have to get to work."

I wiggled a little closer to him. "Do you ever think about what it would be like if you didn't work at your firm? I mean, what would you do if you didn't work these long hours?"

"Probably work for legal aid. Help poor people who can't afford it and who need justice."

The part of him that wasn't an artist really was Atticus Finch.

"Why don't you do that now? Do you need the money?"

He looked at me. "The remodel is expensive, yeah, but I have money saved. I don't spend that much. And I work hard so I make a lot."

"So yes, you could do that now," I pressed.

He gave me a half smile. "Maybe."

"You would have to totally change your thinking about all this stuff, huh? That you don't have to always go into the office? That you could work part time? It might take some effort, but I think if we worked on it—"

"I'm gonna shut you up by kissing you," he said, and then he did.

I knew that he liked to change the subject when he didn't want to answer a question. But eventually, we were going to get to a place where we could talk about it and make his life more balanced. I just knew it.

Jake ended up taking the whole morning off, spending it by at first, attending to me, in a thoroughly exploratory manner, and then getting ready, eating breakfast, and picking up Rob, who had a good time at his dad's house, receiving some Christmas presents from that side of the family. After we packed up the presents, with minimal interaction with Carlos, Jake drove us to his house, located on the hill above Santa Barbara City College, with a view of the water. Spanish style, like everything in Santa Barbara, it was being updated to be environmentally friendly, but sensitive to the original design.

A remodel like that had to cost a fortune.

His house was spectacular, not because it was a huge mansion, but because it was ideally located, and had everything you needed, done in a really nice way. Two stories, white stucco, red tile roof, it had an outdoor deck on the second floor that looked out to the water.

I could spend an eternity there.

Rob seemed to like it, although, typical kid, things like the practicalities of expenses and time for remodel didn't really register on him. As we walked around, looking at the construction progress, I really watched Jake, though, seeing what it was like for him to take a morning off. Half-expecting him to go into withdrawals and start shaking, for the most part, he was attentive. He did check his phone once we got to his house, but so did I. So, this was a step forward, perhaps?

"How much longer do they have until construction is finished?" I asked.

"About three weeks," he answered.

For some reason, that news hit me in the solar plexus. In three weeks, Jake wasn't going to be my neighbor. This didn't mean, of course, that I wouldn't see him, but it was easier to see him when he could stop by on the way over to his house. Having to drive across town? I didn't know what that would mean for our relationship, and now that I was completely head over heels for him, I did not want to have him be this far away.

After we went back home, Jake walked us to my door, and Rob went inside. I lingered for a moment outside, kissing Jake lightly, and then he headed to work, promising to be home in time for dinner. I was grateful that he had taken the morning for me and my son. This was another step forward.

When I walked in my house, my phone sounded. It was Georgie. "Lucy? You feeling better?"

"Yeah, mostly," I said. "Dr. Maxwell was right. Because I hit the antibiotics early, I only felt bad for a few days, but she said it would take two weeks or so until I felt all the way better."

"So are you going to be up for going out on New Years?"

"Yes!" I said. I hadn't been dancing with the girls in a long time.

We made plans to go out on State Street, with Sara, and then I called my mom to make sure that she could watch Rob. If not, I would get a babysitter. Thankfully, she was available.

Then I called Amelia and updated her on the latest with Carlos.

And then I worked on my book for the afternoon.

It was strange: I had lived my entire adult life as a single mother, without looking forward to anyone coming home to me. I had Rob, but he was nearly always with me. But now that Jake was in my life, I felt like I had something I never knew I needed: someone else to appreciate me, and someone else to appreciate.