Prologue

A/N: Please note that this book is for mature audiences. Therefore, explicit language, violence and sexual scenes may occur throughout. You have been warned.

-----
REYNA

It was just any other day of the year. Any other day like I would have. I wasn't expecting anything out of the normal, but I was wrong. Today, my life would be changed. Today, my whole entire world would become flipped upside down as I entered into something new.

The bus drive to this new town was nothing but falling leaves and bumpy roads. I sat by the window, contemplating my new life. This was it. Once I'm there, there's no going back. I'm starting this new life for me, not for my parents. They were heavy on the whole 'home is where the heart is' bullhead, so I guess they never expected to see me drive away from their quaint little home and say goodbye. The two of them never fully got the whole 'I can't stop moving' persona I have going. It's something my uncle Greg gave me, when I went on one of his infamous road trips. The places we went, the people we saw, I felt like I was living a dream. I never wanted to leave.

Back then, I never had plans on where I was going or who I wanted to be. Now I was a writer, but not a journalist or anything, just a writer. I'd like to call myself a published author one day, but I've had no such luck. My writing is average, I suppose, but nobody has read much of it. Unless you count my best friend, Faith.

Faith and I have known each other for three years, maybe four. She was born, well, slightly unstable in the health department. She has a liver condition, and I've been living my life with her attached to my hip, so she'll be okay. She has parents, but they're not as close as Faith is to me. Faith has always dreamed big, bigger than me, brighter than me. She wants to achieve everything she can, and I mean everything. Dreaming larger, living larger, she doesn't let her health problems affect her. I let them affect me.

The bus began to pull closer to the new town. Crontill. This is it, I'm moving on from the life I lived in that town, with my loving parents, with the school I spent miserable afternoons watching the clock tick in, with the brother I'll never forget. With the plain simplicity of knowing just about everyone. in this new town, I'll be an outsider, but I like that. I like not having to worry about saying good morning to just about every Tom, Dick and Harry in town. I won't miss knowing the older housewives who bake all day and watch soaps like it's so similar to their lives. It's not, no one will ever experience that much drama they cram into one of those soaps my grandmother used to watch. It's someone dies this day, the next day someone else gets married, but in a week, that's the end. Nobody stays together. Nobody cares in the end. I won't miss the tiny troublemakers who launder around the streets screaming, and I definitely won't miss Liana Tyler. She dated my brother for about a week, until he realized how much of a preppy monster she was, and let's keep this a secret, but thank god he never took it further, because she's one lady of the night. Mind the old slang, I'm kind of a history nerd, I guess. It's always fascinated me, the way we overlook what's happened in the past for the future, how the human society is built around the possibilities, rather than the existing outcomes. Nobody cares too much about what happened over 300 years ago, but some do, and like me, we care about the glorification of what's happened. We wouldn't be here without the abomination of war; we wouldn't be alive had nuclear bombs dropped on our cities. The control of the past is what keeps us alive.

The bus pulled into the station, and as my feet hit the cold pavement of the concrete footpath, I saw the world around me completely stop. Frozen. The leaves fell in their continuous pattern, the autumn breeze broke around my high pony. I was here, in Crontill. Nobody could stop me now. Walking with my dark grey sneakers on past the bus, I smiled for the first time after I left. The whole bus ride kept me thinking about what I was leaving, but the cool wind changed my mind. I won't go anywhere.