Chapter 7- Dignity

GRANT

"I don't want to talk." My voice quivered as she stood behind me in line for my morning coffee. Her silky voice trailed on as she began her dutiful monologue about how it was her birthright to wake me up each morning. I didn't like her that much, even though she tried to hit on me each morning I saw him. She just wasn't my type, I guess, but more so, she pissed me off. The whole can do attitude towards protecting me from absolutely nothing really pissed me off. She thought he was the top dog, but she had nothing beside her name but the fact that he was the boss of the managing. "I'm going to be late, Marie" I spoke up, placing first in the line. The barista smiled as I ordered my regular, and she disappeared to the side to prepare it for me. She slipped in beside me, combing her hair.

"Grant, let me talk." I like women, but this girl can't keep herself away from me. I let her continue, maybe she'll prove herself to be worthy of my affection. I haven't been in love in a while. "Grant, I want to make it up to you, for that one date we had. I know it went terribly, but I promise I can make it up to you." She smiled, and I felt bad for her. I did shut her down completely, and I'm sorry about that, so maybe it was just the wrong night. The both of us wanted to settle down.

"Marie, I'm feeling nice. Let's have another date, let's say in two days' time. I'll text you the details." She smiled, and the barista brought around my coffee. As I began to walk away from her, I smiled back at her beautiful face. She wasn't bad looking, she was one of the most attractive women I'd met in this town, and I've lived here for most of my life. Everyone wanted to seduce Marie Tanner, so maybe she would be worth it. I needed someone in my life, especially after Karen.

I'd met Karen about a year and a half ago, and we were alike in many ways, but our relationship was always rocky. Two weeks before we broke things off, she threatened to move back with her best friend two towns over, in Alles Creek. She thought I was controlling, but more than anything, she thought I wanted to kill her, which was a lie. She didn't trust relationships, and neither did her best friend, but that's the past. I want to move on, and Karen was something I'm wishing to forget. She's nothing. She means nothing to my future.
-----

MARIE

TWO HOURS LATER

The busy office spin blurred my eyesight. There was a slight tap on the glass door, and her fragile figure stepped into my office. She smiled, and moved to sit in front of me, her light blonde hair falling against her shoulders. She fiddled with her glasses, pushing them over her nose. "I have the paper you asked for, sis." She took the paper from her hand and passed it to me. Yesterday, I had asked her for some research on the killings that had occurred last year, especially since one of the bodies had turned up on the road behind our firm. I can't take the presence of a killer, and the presence of any criminal scares me. I may seem confident, but I know how to manage a magazine, not my fears and dreams. The darkness contaminates my soul, and I pray for light, because I need to see the world, not hide in fear of the demons. The darkness can continue haunting the soul even after they've overcome it. I assumed it would be better if I had known more about the killer so I could prevent an attack, and protect Helena. She's got so much ahead of her; I'd hate to say goodbye. She smiled as I ducked my head down to read the article.

"This is good, Helena. I'd say you need to increase your vocabulary and use less repetition of the some of these words, but other than that, keep trying and maybe you'll get to my position one day." She dipped her head as I spoke to her, frowning. I know sometimes I could be stern, but I couldn't treat her any different because she was related to me. She had to get her way towards this position her way. A tear slid down her cheek, and she turned away from me. "Helena, I'm not meaning to hurt you. I want to help you." She frowned, turning back towards me. Another tear slid down her face, and she drooped her thin lips.