Chapter 35- Flood

THIRD PERSON

It hadn't always been this way for him. Even as the raindrops match the teardrops plummeting from his face, he sat inching closer towards the only window he could find. The only window in this lonely warehouse of broken dreams and broken machinery. Broken machinery off access even to him. His life has become a series of break-downs. One day, he's the happiest he can be- it's hard when you're locked inside the four walls. The next day, he's miserable- admitting defeat to the heavenly gods, wishing and hoping for a chance to break free and soar high into the bright blue sky. Today is one of those days for him. The bright blue sky dipped into a pale depression, void of sunshine and void of life. The grumpy, opaque grey clouds circle mindlessly above, leaving trails of puddles as they wander off softly into the distance. Peter snuggles his head closer to the dust-laden window.

"Another miserable day wasted," he mumbles, pressing his finger against the dusty windowsill. "Another poor, unfortunate day spent alone and trapped within these four walls, followed around by the devil." He sighs, staring at a single raindrop as it descends downwards, racing against millions upon millions of other raindrops. "Another day without Reyna."

------

Reyna moves the brown package with her feet, pushing it aside to open the front door. She grips tightly to the silver handle, the cold metal against her palm. Her uncle stands completely still on the landing before the small staircase, his hands collapsed at his side. Reyna listens to the click as she swings the door open and closes it behind her, locking it with a key. She notices him standing there. "Grant...where have you been?" She questions, her head racing a million miles an hour and her heart leaping out of her chest. She hasn't seen him in what feels like forever and now here he is. On her doorstep.

"Hey, Reyna...I can explain," he begins to explain, inching himself closer towards his niece. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you where I went. It's a long story that you don't want to listen to, so trust me." He shakes his head as he stares down only at his niece in front of him. "Where are you going?" Grant asks as he glances at the backpack slung on her shoulder.

Reyna shakes her head, frowning. "You shouldn't treat me like I'm a young girl. Whatever happened, you can tell me," she replies, tossing the backpack to the floor. "I've been through hell this past year. Try me." He sighs, drooping his head as he stares downward towards the backpack.

"I know, and I'm sorry. I know how much sorrow you feel every time someone asks you how you feel without him. I'm sorry for you, I truly am. I only wish we could find him," Grant speaks, his voice soft and apologetic. She stares at him with lost hope, and he understands. "I know. I need to explain everything and I will." He steps backwards, the frown on his face expanding. Reyna nods her head, waiting for him to continue speaking.

Grant raises his head, staring into the distance. "I guess it's best if I explain where I've been before I explain why I left," he begins, refraining from moving. "I boarded the first bus out of town and set out to visit her. My mother; your grandmother. We spoke about you, actually, and she was proud that you had moved out here. She heard about your loss. Yeah, she didn't know him but she's experienced the same before. She's lost friends- close, close friends- before but she learned to move forward," he explains, resting his arms on his hips subconsciously. "That isn't the point. It's not the reason why I visited her or why I visited any of the places." Grant pauses, clearly awaiting something. He scratches the back of his head. Reyna nods for him to continue, remaining in her position in front of him without speaking.

"I guess you could say I left to visit her because...I'm scared I'll lose her. She's older and she knows she'll die. I know I'll die too, so I wanted to live. I...I spent some money on things I don't need, but I lived in all that time. I didn't work stopping crime." He sighs, pressing his hand on her shoulder. In some truth, he journeyed place to place wishing to find some new and exotics part of himself, but in all honesty, he realised that most of himself is here. Home in this quaint, little town with no loud, harassing noises or no gigantic skyscrapers. To him, living his life could become any form he wished, but in this moment, as he faces his niece on the doorstep of her own house, the action-adventure thrill of life had no place now. He'd be perfectly happy with family and friends close by. So he finally realised helping Reyna search the past for clues will benefit her future. She needs Peter O'Brien.