Chapter 26- In Chains

THIRD PERSON

"I don't know, I don't think I have many talents," Marcy sat at the end of her bed, her feet tucked under as she sat calmly on the bed, facing towards Faith. "I'm going home today, so I suppose I can find something to do," She mumbled, twirling a strand of hair in her fingers. Faith's attention left her friend and moved to her favourite sight; the outside world. She'll be free to explore once more today, but the loneliness creeps back inside to haunt her. What if Marcy forgets her? What if Marcy moves on with her life and leaves Faith to rot alone? Faith will be alone.

Marcy shifts in her position and taps her roommate on the shoulder. "You'll find something to do too, Faith." She speaks with the happiest of tune, but it's hard for Faith to accept, and her smile fades. "My best friend, this brilliant girl named Jemma, will be waiting for me. She can wait for you too." Her melodic voice bounces through the small, quiet room. Faith smiles hesitantly and turns towards her friend, a slight grin forming on her cheeks. The thought that someone would be waiting for her brightens her day. Someone would be there for her. For Faith. The liar.

"Thank you, my little goose." Faith steps closer to Marcy and taps her on the nose. Marcy scrunches her cheeks up, her grin widening as she closes her eyes. "I will find something to do, for you." She tiptoes back to her bedside, flicking through the inked pages of her diary. All the times that she spent explaining to Reyna that the lies were for her own good- were they a waste? All those entries where she wrote to her parents, asking them to call her, to visit, anything- were they a waste? All those times she spent crying alone in the hospital bathroom thinking about how tragic she must look- were they a waste?

Reyna hadn't forgiven her yet. Her parents hadn't forgiven her yet. She has yet to forgive herself. The idea that, for once, someone would be willing to accept her for her flaws seems unrealistic to Faith. Somehow she knows it's real.

She's knocked back into reality by the boisterous knock on the glass door of the hospital room. Marcy bobs her head and exits the room as he steps inside, his pitch black loafers clicking against the white tiles. "Hello, Faith. My name is Grant Swindell," Her heart sinks in her chest. It's Reyna's uncle.

She smiles willingly and turns to face him. "Hello, Mr Swindell," He furthers in the room, collapsing into one of the grey wooden chairs in the corner.

"I wanted to check in with you before you checked out," He adds, straightening his tie. "How are you, Faith?" He brushes a hand through his dark brown hair and smirks. He had never really met his niece's best friend, but he knew that they had grown apart because Faith had lied. He wanted to talk to her about the incident, but he hadn't found the time. Now, as he stares towards the girl who lied to his niece, he can't help but ask her if she is okay.

She combs her brown hair with her fingers. "I'm perfect, sir." She chirps, bobbing her head. The hospital gown falls against her skin as she strides to the greyed chair beside him, perching herself down and grinning widely. "Never have I been better." Her grin widens further, but her eyes drift back to the busy streets down below. His eyes follow hers to the view from the hospital window.

"You can tell me anything, off record. I'm here on personal business, Faith, not official." He adds, resting his palms on her shoulders. She fidgets, but doesn't move. Her eyes are locked on the outside world as she straightens her hospital gown, eyeing the diary in the corner of her eye. Grant frowns as she edges herself further from him.

"I'm not stupid." All of her life, she had thought she was smart. She thought she'd be some prodigy child or something, or she'd apply for some scholarship to an Ivy League school, but she wasn't that smart, and she wasn't fit for an Ivy League school. "It's no use asking me. I have nothing left to give." The distant sounds of the hospital echo in the back of her head. The ringing bells chime from the upper floors of the hospital.