Chapter 36- Reign

THIRD PERSON

Her lifeless body floats in the still water; nothing but lost hope. The eerie repetition of footsteps can be heard in the distance, but nobody comes to visit. Nobody marvels at the floating corpse of Mara Ludgate, the famed serial killer who targeted those men who shot insults at women and targeted women who couldn't keep their mouths shut. Maybe she helped us, you could think to yourself as you remember the time Persephone- the name she willing forced upon herself all those days ago- ruled this kingdom. Ruled this land with an iron fist, as the queen but not the rightful queen.

Maybe she murdered some who had sinned but look now at her frail corpse as it remains in the tank of water. Desolate. Completely alone. Her legacy is nothing; really. A child whom she birthed after the death of her husband. No medallions or trophies of any significance; no winner's plaques to celebrate her memory. The death of Mara- or Ava or Helena- is barely an achievement for her to hold. It's the end of an era. The end of her reign.

------

The clicking sound of the opening of the cream-coloured doors echoes abruptly through the bare warehouse, nobody in sight to witness as the guest sneaks inside. She stares only at the glass water tank, amazement twitching in the corners of her eyes. She moves closer to the tank, a baseball bat in her hand. The discoloured water circles around the corpse of the killer as Faith, her other hand free, gently traces the outline of the dead body with her fingers.

"You died without grace. You died here, but not now, and I did not kill you," she begins to whisper, "Say hello to the devil. Kiss his cheek. Goodbye for now. Goodbye forever." Faith presses her palm against the glass of the tank, letting the baseball bat collapse to the concrete floor.

As if waiting or searching for an answer, she taps her fingers on the glass for a few moments. Waiting. With nothing but the empty air and the distant rush of cars, Faith listens to the silence. Listening for even one sound close by. Listening for that sound only until the crying and the wailing begins after the baby has woken up. She leaps out of her frozen position, racing to find the baby. The baby innocently sobs in her bassinet.

"Come here," she mumbles softly as she cradles the small child in her arms. "Your mother is dead now but I did not kill her. I'm saving you." She brings the baby closer to her body, huddling it tightly against her warm clothing. The baby girl's screaming softens, becoming sharp yet muttered whimpers. "I will love you, little one. Do you have a name?"

She comforts the child, whispering and cooing without ever leaving sight of the small baby in her arms. Something inside her clicks and she leaves the crowded makeshift nursery and back to the warehouse floor, staring once more at the floating corpse. The baby wails again- over and over- but even Faith's light rocking doesn't calm her down. "Say goodbye, tiny baby." She kicks the baseball bat with her feet, inching closer and closer towards the cream-coloured doors.

Soon enough she's opening the front entrance door with a spare hand, cradling the baby as she kicks the baseball bat across the cold concrete ground. Leaving only the warehouse and the empty bassinet behind her.

------

Reyna collapses backwards onto the mattress of her bed, sighing. "There's never a silent day without an interruption from Faith," she mumbles with frustration as Nathan and Peter plant themselves beside her. "Do you honestly believe she was my best friend?" The two males shake their heads. Nathan coughs, staring into the eyes of his girlfriend.

"It's not your fault she's missing. Hell, she's probably somewhere walking," he speaks, before changing the subject. "We shouldn't worry about her. She lied to you and so did Brady, how can we trust them?" He comforts her as she sits up, leaning her head on his shoulder.