Chapter 16- Undone

FAITH

I awoke to the sight of the bright white light, calling to me as my eyes squinted under the harsh bright light. Was I dying? No, that couldn't be true, as the thick pungent smell of the hospital patients crept towards my nostrils. The tempting glare of the nearby glass window was shielded by two curtains, closing in onto the middle of the windows. Another hospital bed was in the room, the patient still asleep as I awoke in the morning. I checked the time on the small clock beside me, the time being 7:50. One nurse walked into the room, tying her hair back as she stood beside me and asked how I was feeling this morning. I can't help but just nod or sigh, because if I was to be honest with her, I'd shrug and mumble about how bored I had become in this dreadful home for the weak. Needless to say, this torturous series of events came to me and I absolutely hate it. When he attacked me, my life flashed before my eyes. I thought he would kill me, the crazed venom in his eyes, the bloodshot gaze he cast towards me. He looked dangerous, and when he lunged towards me, his wide grin sharpened. Whatever he wanted, he sought out the blood and I sought out saviour.

The nurse smiled, tugging at the sheets as I moved sharply to avoid the pain. She smiles politely before fluffing the two pillows behind my head, speaking quietly as she requested for me to move. The past few days, I'd been able to delve into her life and in moments, I spoke to her and she spoke to me, no medical wording needed. Her name was Rebecca Browning. She told me about her experiences growing up with limited this or limited this, reminiscing of a time she must have wanted to forget. I spent the moments I could speak to her draining on about how I screwed everything up with Reyna. I lied to her too often, and I realise my friendship with her was built on just that; lies. Foolish thoughts I thought I could get away with, mindless acts I thought she would forget. Now, I was alone. Nobody comforted me, nobody visited me beside my parents whenever they could. Nobody cared enough that I was here, because to face the truth, lying was an addiction I've poisoned myself with far too often. I'm driving people away.

The nurse slipped out of the open spaced room, minding to carefully click the door closed against the hinges. The other patient, a girl suffering a similar position as I did, began to stir, lifting her head as she opened her eyes slightly. She was in much better condition than I was, which allowed her to walk both safely and freely on the hospital floors. I groaned in pain as she turned towards me, a small grin appearing, lighting up the usual depressed look she had shown. She began walking towards me, her arms by her side, her soft blue eyes meeting mine as she positioned herself in the dark silver chair beside me. Occasionally, she's ask me how I ended up with the wound on my side, but I couldn't help the shrug she received. Lying would be useless, telling the truth would be painful.

She paused, before opening her lips to speak. "I'm not going to ask what happened to you. That's private, I understand." Her sweet melodic voice filled my ears, the sound I'd imagine mermaids or some other bizarre mythical beast would speak in. She had light blonde hair, which she always let fall beyond her shoulders. She rarely tied it up. Her ice blue eyes complimented the sincerity she always possessed. She lifted her head, smiling. "I hope you get better." I had never asked her what happened to her, either. I assumed she had an accident or something similar, but I couldn't tell. My accident, if you call it that, sounded much worse in my head, and I couldn't bear to think about how horrible it had felt. His cold fingers tracing over my skin. The sinister look swelling over his cheeks, the cold hysteria in his eyes. The pure thought of him scared me shitless. He did all of this to me.

The other patient raised from the chair beside my hospital bed and began to walk towards the entrance way. She turned back towards me, frowning. That's when I realised I had been frozen still, that I hadn't spoken to her when she had spoken to me. "I'm sorry I was quiet." She stopped, smiling.