Chapter 18- You'll Be In My Mind

THIRD PERSON

The two women turned to face each other, one delicately perching in a chair, the other standing with her fingers latched onto the handle of the wheelchair. The girl, unconscious, slouched in the wheelchair, her friend, the patient, gasping in the hospital bed.

"What do you want, Olive?" The woman in the chair spoke, pursing her lips. She raised to her feet, moving closer towards the other standing woman. The misty night light delved deeper into the room as the pale moon rose further into the flickering tar black sky. Olive smirks, pressing her fingers harder onto the wheelchair handles. "Why are you here?" The killer spoke, pursing her lips in the darkness, the iridescent gleam of the moonlight lighting her hair, which rested in one long ponytail. She smoothed the bumps with her fingertips as Olive opened her mouth to speak.

"You know why I'm here, Mara." She spat, loosening her grip on the wheelchair. The girl, lying knocked out, stirred in the chair as her close friend watched on, paralysed in shock and dread. She winced as she attempted to sit up further, but she slid back in relief. Suddenly the pain was rough on her body. She moved slightly to watch closer on the conversation. 

"I haven't seen you in a while." The killer spoke, twisting a strand of hair in between her fingers. "I guess you could say I didn't need your pity drugs." She spat, edging closer towards Olive, her drug dealer. Olive didn't move from her position behind the wheelchair, only turning her attention to the patient. The presence of the two women standing in the room seemed to irk her as she winced towards her friend in the chair, mumbling under her breath. Her friend only stirred every so often.

"You trust me to believe that you don't need me, child." Olive spat, moving closer towards the other woman. They stood inches apart from one another, but both felt miles apart. "Once, I saved your life. Now, this is how you repay me?" She brushed her jet black hair behind her ears as she spoke softly towards her once close friend. The two of them faced each other, their blood-driven anger towards each other heating their close distance. In the shaded moon light, their silhouettes danced in the shadows. Olive pressed her palm against the killer's waist, her breath slowing as she spoke the next sentence. "These were missed kills, weren't they?" Olive gestured to the other two females in the room, the girl finally stirring awake in the wheelchair. She reached for her friend in the hospital bed, whispering something to her.

"That isn't what this is about." The killer spat, pushing herself away from Olive. "The two of them know who I am. They've seen my face." She twisted her head towards them, as they huddled close together by the hospital bed. "They'd be able to find me." The two mumbled to each other, before staring back towards the killer that had attacked them that fateful night. They recalled the dark alleyway, the cat that had lured them in, the click of the chainsaw as she awoke the rampaging blades. The draining blood. The shrouded huddle towards the hospital, only hoping she would be okay. Now, the two watched as the woman that had attacked them stood mercilessly in front of them, and they could do nothing but freeze in their helpless position.

Olive began to whisper once more. "I waited here all day. I waited for this girl, Gemma, to come and visit her friend. I waited, and when she arrived, I chose to help you. I brought her here for you. Mara, I'm helping you, darling." She spoke in a sinister tone, pursing her lips. It was true, Olive had been searching for the perfect opportunity to weave her way in and refresh her relationship with Mara, or as she had first come to know her as, Ava. Their history had been treacherous and deadly, but they had held a friendship strong and powerful. That had all ended when she, Mara, entered the newest saga of her life; Persephone, the Devil's Bride.

In this harsh moment, Mara faced the realisation that two witnesses stood in her path of murder. She no longer killed to destroy her brother, his death sending the plague that haunted her body far away. He had died to save her life. Now, she needed to focus on the destruction of the people in front of her.