Chapter 13- Sight for Sore Eyes

REYNA

The sliver doors were drawn open, and the pull of the office crowd exceeded me. I watched as they paced furiously around the cubicles, dancing around each other in a sea of employees. Our eyes meet, and she walks towards me, a sad expression filling her face. She stops before me, beginning to suppress her frown. She smiles finally, and digs her hands into her jean pockets, tilting her head down towards the ground for a moment as she speaks.

"I think she hates me." She moves her head back towards mine, shaking it sightly.

"Who hates you?" I shake my head. Whoever it is, they wouldn't hate her, would they? She's a kind human being, isn't she? She's deserving, she's loyal and respective, isn't she? She wouldn't cause anyone to hate her, would she?

"My sister. My sister hates me." She froze, dipping her head downwards. "I don't know anymore, Reyna. She obviously hates me." I didn't know her enough, but when I first met her, she adored her sister. They sounded like the best of friends, and now, the love is gone, apparently. I don't know what to say.

"Helena, why does she hate you? I'm sure it's nothing, siblings always fight-" I stopped as she cut me off, opening her mouth to speak. She laces her fingers through her hair, the dark blonde strands winding around her hands. She frowns, moving her hands back to her pockets.

"Do siblings burn clothing whenever they feel like it, because I woke up and found her burning my clothes, and let me just say, she was fuming. She...she-" Helena froze, moving closer towards me. She pulled me in for a hug, and for a moment, she pressed her head on my shoulder and whispered. "She threatened to kill me."

"I'm sure she didn't mean it-" She pushed herself away from me, snapping out of her trance. She shook her head, pursing her lips as she turned slightly away from me. I'm sure her sister didn't mean this acrimony. Surely.

"No, I know her. She can get angry, and I mean real angry, and when she does, she says things that she does mean. We're no longer children, we need to learn to actually adore one another, because she's my older sister. She's meant to be there for me, you know?" Tears rush down her cheek as she speaks, her eyes focusing in on mine. She frowns, her dark coloured eyes darker than usual today. Her gaze drifts away as she finished speaking, moving to watch the whir of the office around us. "I'm not sure this place is for me anymore." I have to wake her from this daze, she loves writing.

"Helena, you love this job. Maybe you're just upset over your sister. You walk in here every day, with that high smile, and that straight hair, and you wave to every single employee...you like, of course. You sit at your desk with the same smile and the same flicker in your eyes, and you seem so happy with yourself, with everyone around you, really. I look over, and I can't help but grin, because I can see how much this job means to you. I know it's hard working for your sister, but that's how it is, and while she was appointed the charge, that doesn't mean she's in charge of how you live your life." She smiles, her cheeks blushing red. "I have an idea. You can stay at my house, because for some reason, I decided to plan ahead for my big future, and I have spare bedrooms. I'd be happy to spend more time with you."

We started walking to our cubicles, the windows shining in the iridescent light. She smiles once more, stopping at her desk and wrapping her arms around me. "Thank you, Reyna. I'd love that." I begin towards my own desk when I hear her booming voice from the hallway leading to her office.

"Helena and Reyna, can I speak to the two of you in my office?" She snaps her head towards the two of us, her eyes locking in on us. Helena freezes beside me, and she reaches out for my hand for a moment, before pulling away and stepping forward. She walks closer to her older sister, their gaze locking in on each other. She stops in front of her sister, Marie, and smirks ambitiously.