Chapter 34 ~abominable pony

"Beorn, I must speak with you in private." I spoke softly as to not wake the dwarves the next night. We were restocking, curtesy of Beorn, and decided one more, hopefully restful, nights sleep wouldn't do us harm.

"What weighs on your mind?" He asked as we stepped out side. I looked up to the moon, gathering myself together. Something had been bothering me, ever since I'd returned to my old home.

"I returned to our home a few days past."

"What? Why, that cursed place is corrupted, it's not safe there!" Beorn spoke rapidly, an unease, the same one that had plagued me, settling in his heart as we spoke. Call it animal instinct, whatever it was told us to stay away from that place, even in thought.

"We were just passing through, Gandalfs orders, but thats not what I wanted to talk about. Beorn, something...strange happened there."

"I'm listening.

"There was this....fog. It forced us to take refuge in the old great hall. It came just as the sun set, flowing over everything like a white wave. But the smell, Beorn it smelt like death. And there were strange shapes in the mist, hulking beasts."

"Could it be-"

"I think so, from the stories we were told, it matches up. A great deal of wrong was done that day, I'm not surprised their rage and vengeance created this." I whispered, tilting my head back again to look up at the almost full moon.

"Yes, I think you're right." Beorn sighed, looking over at me when I didn't answer him.

"What's with you damn wolves and the moon?" Beorn laughed, but joined in looking up at the sky.

"I buried my fathers body"

Beorns head snapped in my direction, but he said nothing other then give me an empathetic look. He understood the feeling. He got to say goodbye to his family, bury them all ,while I had to drive myself insane knowing mine hadn't been put to rest. Our people were a very spiritual race, we had rituals and ceremonies for the dead.

Now it didn't matter, our ways would die, just as our people did.

"I'm going to sleep, are you coming back inside?" Beorn asked, turning back to look at the door.

"No, I'll stay out here for a while, watch for any orcs or wargs that get too close." I replied weakly, knowing my excuse was hollow. The orcs wouldn't dare step foot in Beorns territory, for fear of the two angry shape shifters it housed.

"Don't howl at the moon, wolf, not while I'm trying to sleep." Beorn called back, making me scoff loudly.

"Bite me!

Once Beorn had gone inside, I lowered myself to the ground at sat there, wishing I had my coat of fur covering me. I didn't shift however, because I had ruined too many spare cloths I had. I had two more pairs left, both in bad condition. Beorn had offered to fix them for me, telling me they should be done by tomorrow before we'd leave.

"Why are you out here alone?" A pleasantly deep voice asked from behind me. I jumped slightly, having not paid attention to my ears, and turned to look at Thorin. Instead of answering him, I jerked my chin towards the patch of flattened grass beside me. Thorin got the message as strode forward to sit. I must say, he sat more gracefully then I had.

"You didn't answer my question." He scolded me softly. I smiled slightly glancing over to find him looking at me.

"I needed to clear my head. If feels as though the days are passing quicker, and soon we may have to kill a dragon. I'm afraid we won't all make it. " I confided in him quietly, moving my arms to wrap around my cold body. I wish I had my cosy pelt of fur.