Chapter 18: yes, im fine

Luka POV

I was rudely awaken by a soft kick to the stomach. A loud growl ripped from my throat as I leapt up, towering over the sleeping pups in a protective manor. I relaxed as I saw it was just Thorin. I cocked my head to the side, wondering why he had awoken me first.

"You need to shift, we shall be leaving soon" he whispered harshly before storming off. I sighed again and trotted over to my bag, picking it up in my mouth and cantering off to a secluded area. A few moments later, I came back, fully dressed to see the rest of the company packing whilst a moody Thorin watched.

Why was he acting so...moodily?

Were we leaving? Already? I pulled my pack up higher on my shoulder before jogging over to Thorin.

"Are you alright?" I asked softly, making him jump. He turned to me, his movement panicked and alert. I placed a hand on his shoulder to calm him, hoping that the effect he had on me was shared. To my surprise, his shoulders relaxed and his features softened.

"Yes-" he replied softly, turning back to look at the company "- I'm fine." I slowly dropped my hand, feeling slightly rejected, walking away to help bilbo.

Thorin POV.

I watched Luka intently as she walked towards the hobbit. Without her hand on my shoulder, I felt cold and...lonely. I scowled and turned away from her, trying not to focus on her swaying hips.

"Concentrate on the quest" I snarled quietly to myself, clenching my fists. When Gandalf had spoken to me last night, we had made a plan. My company and I would leave at first light, before the white council was held. We would meet up again in three days time in the Misty mountains. It was simple enough, but if the wizard was late, he would be left behind.

"Hurry!-"I commanded the company quietly, not wanting alert the guards "- we must leave before they realise" a few moments later, we were quickly making our way out of the elvish place. I scolded myself every time I felt the need to turn and look at Luka, who took up the back of the company. I couldn't help but notice she seemed...sad.

"How long d'ye think it'll take to reach the misty mountains?" Dwalin suddenly asked, coming up to walk beside me. I glanced around the cort yard before making my way to the bridge, dwalin close by my side.

"Two or three days, we will meet the wizard there."

"And if he doesn't show?"

"We leave without him"

I looked back at Luka, to find her looking back at me. I meet her eyes, so deep, so sad and tormented. My heart seemed to squeeze as I thought of her in pain. All I wanted to do was...no, I didn't have time for this. I had to concentrate on the quest. I had to keep a level head for my people. I could not fail them. Not again. I frowned deeply, snapping my head forward as we began hiking away from Rivendell.

"Be on your guard; we're about to step over the edge of the Wild. Balin, you know these paths; lead on." I snapped, anger and frustration filling me.

"Aye." Balin called out, taking the lead. My mood darkened, and my men gave me a wide berth, not wanting to anger me further.

Only death will keep me from my mountain...

Luka POV

We made our way out of Rivendell quickly, all of us nervously glancing around every corner. I felt...sad, rejected, lonely. I kept glancing up at Thorin at the front, the gap between us feeling like miles and miles. I walked at the back, beside bilbo who seemed like he really didn't want to leave. I understood, it was a beautiful place...but it wasn't home. Not that I had one. I looked up at Thorin to find him lookin hack at me.

He was my home...

I gazed at his icy blue eyes, becoming hypnotised by their depth. His features softened, and a small smile made its way to my lips. But it suddenly fell as he frowned deeply, his eyes becoming cold and dark once again. His head snapped back to the front as his shoulders stiffened. I looked down, frowning softly.

"Isn't it beautiful?" Bilbo suddenly asked, gaining my attention. I looked up to find him looking back at Rivendell, a longing look on his face. I joined him, standing by his side as we looked back at the valley, Rivendell at its centre.

"Yes, but it's not home. Home to me is-" I was suddenly cut off.

"Master Baggins, I suggest you keep up!" An ice cold voice bellowed, snapping bilbo and I out of our trance. I looked back at Thorin. He glared at bilbo but wouldn't even cast a glance at me. I sighed as every one else moved forward quickly, leaving me alone at the back.

Alone. Something I have sadly grown use to.

Home is where the heart is...

***

We traveled all day, not stopping once for rest or food. No elves on horse back, nor orcs on wargs came after us, yet we were still on edge. Thorin seemed cold and distant, but why? I did not know.

Finally night came.

"We will set up camp here. Get rest, we leave at first light" Thorin growled, before storming off to the edge of the clearing, leaning against a bolder. I sighed as I watched him longingly. The company lay down, not bothering to even create a fire and food we were all so tired, even I was effected. I looked around, snores echoing from some while others quickly settled down. I sighed again, then looked back at Thorin. I edged closer, placing down my bag beside a sleeping bilbo. I stopped, hesitantly before sighing and striding over to Thorin. Silently I sat down beside him, feeling much better just being in his company.

"Are you alright?" I asked softly, my eyes flickering to Thorin. He looked tense.

"Yes-" he replied quietly after a moment "- I'm fine"

******

I'm sorry! I feel brain dead right now and this was kind of a filler. One more chapter until goblin town!! Vote comment and have a lovely day/night xx