Chapter 26: home...

Luka POV

I shivered in the early morning air, huddling into Thorin coat as much as I could. My skin was unusually pale, and the wound on my back was intensely sore. I tried not to move very much as each little step hurt my stiff body more and more. We had gotten an early start this morning, up at the crack of dawn, and were on the road again by first light. My breath came out in visible clouds in front of me and the grass beneath my feet crunched slightly as I walked over its frosty surface. It was a beautiful morning, but it was freezing. I could hear everyone's laboured breathing as we trudged up a hill. Fili and Kili suddenly appeared by my sides, as mischievous as ever. I glanced at them suspiciously.

"What do you want now?" I mumbled cautiously, referring to their morning prank of pouring freezing water down my ear. I grimaced and rubbed my poor ear, I was still getting water out.

"What?! Do we have to want something if we come to talk to a dear friend?" Kili gasped, placing a hand on his chest above his heart. I growled grumpily and pulled a face at his innocent facade.

"Oh quit the crap pup, we both know your up to no good!" I huffed, pulling Thorins coat around me more.

"Ouch, that hurt?!" Kili groaned, staggering like I'd hit him with a poisoned arrow. I scowled and was about to answer with a smart comment before Fili butted in.

"What my brother meant to say, is that we're not gonna pull a stunt like that again...for now" I groaned, glaring at him.

"Okay, okay but seriously, we just want to talk!" Kili laughed, as I stared at them in disbelief, arching my eyebrow. I rolled my eyes and tried to walk faster and lose them. It did not work.

"So...you and our uncle eh?" Kili suddenly blurted out, making my face heat up.

"Ah, so that's a yes?!" He laughed, taking one look at my red face. I growled, trying to disappear into Thorins coat.

"We saw you two talking last night, seemed to be going well-"

"That and the fact that he kissed you a few days ago, you know when-"

"We got out of the-eh...mountain." Kili and Fili spoke, their voices blending together like they were the same person. I stopped and sent them both a look. Then an idea sprung into my head. Pay back for this mornings wake up call. With one sweep of my leg, I knocked them both off of their feet. Both went rolling down the hill past the others who watched them roll by. Once they came to a stop at the bottom I burst out laughing.

"That's for this morning" I managed to gasp in between laughs. The rest of the company laughted too but the laughter I heard to my left made me smile even more. Thorin stood to my left, arms crossed and a small smile on his face. His soft laughter made me smile.

'I wish he'd laugh more'

Shaking his head, Thorin ushered us on. We had ground to cover.

------

We traveled all day taking breaks in between, probably for my sake. It wasn't till the sun went down that we stopped and made camp. I sighed as I sat beside the fire. My body ached and I didn't feel to good, hopefully, a hot meal would remedy that. I took in a deep breath.

Bombur sat with Bifur, preparing the meal. Bilbo sat with a few of the others talking, and Thorin sat with Dwalin and Balin. Gandalf sat on the other side of the fire, smoking his pipe and being all...mysterious. I laughted quietly to myself, looking down at my hands. I had thrown my bag down beside me along with my weapons. A few arrows had been lost but other then that everything was still there. I heard someone sitting down beside me and looked up. Surprisingly, it was Bofur. We hadn't talked much...or at all, but I could tell he had a kind heart. I matched his smile, mine slightly more tired.

"Hello Bofur, what can I do for you?" I asked, warming my hands by the fire.

"Oh nothing lass, ye just looked a little lonely sitting on yer own. I thought I'd keep ye company." Bofur chuckled, lighting his pipe. I smiled at his kind gesture and looked back into the fire.

"Lass can I ask?....what was your home like? I've only ever heard stories about skin changers and I must say, I'm thoroughly intrigued." Bofur suddenly questioned, taking me by surprise. I looked at him with wide eyes. It had been such a long time...could I remember?

"Ye don't 'ave to answer if ye don't want!" Bofur said quickly, taking my silence as reluctance.

"It was...beautiful." I whispered, loud enough for Bofur to hear.

"We lived in the mountains, our homes carved from the rock. It was a place where we didn't have to hide our animal selves. My mother and father were mates, and found each other at a young age. When my litter was born, I was the smallest, the runt as some may say. I was so small I could fit in the palm of your hand hand." I chuckled, holding up a hand and cupping my palm. "They thought I wouldn't make it...but here I am. I remember looking out over a green sea of trees . It looked endless to me back then. Our village was surrounded by miles and miles of forest, it was paradise for us. We could run for miles without worry of crossing paths with any other races." I muttered, staring off into space as I remembered the beauty my home once held.

"Ah, but all good things come to an end. It was all destroyed when the orcs came. There is nothing but ash and blackened ground now. A waste land." I sighed, smiling sadly at Bofur.

"Yes...and we will have to cross it on our way" Gandalf spoke unexpectedly, looking into the fire. I starred at him, shock and disbelief swirling in my eyes.

"B-but I thought we were going the other way?!" I gasped, starring at Gandalf.

"We were planning to, but we're losing time. We must reach the mountain on time or this has all been for nothing" Gandalf replied sharply, leaving no room for discussion. I gulped and looked down at my hands.

'Were going home...'
-----

Hello! Short chapter sorry but it's better then nothing. :) Merry Christmas everyone, or incase your religion celebrates another occasion, have a fantastic, merry day :) have a brilliant day/night xx