Chapter 16: that is no beast!

Luka POV

I groaned as I awoke, my head pounding. The beast...no the wolf yipped as I sat up, mentally welcoming me back. I decided not to open my eyes yet, in fear the sensation would welcome a new world of pain. My body ached, but at the same time something was soothing the pain. I slowly, oh so slowly, opened my eyes.

To my surprise, it wasn't bright...well not daylight at least. Candles lit up the room I was in, though infirmary would be a better word. I took a deep breath as I caught the scent of pine and pipe weed. The beast purred. I looked to my right to see Thorin sleeping in a chair, arms crossed with a small frown on his face. The small frown made me frown with worry.

Was he okay?

God I acted like a pup around this male, constantly worrying.

I sat up properly, but yelped as the sudden movement caused pain in my ribs. My sudden noise woke Thorin up, as he leapt from his chair, sword drawn. I groaned as I fell back to the bed, taking in a deep breath of Thorin scented air to calm me.

"You're awake!" Thorin gasped gruffly from beside me, once he had established there was no danger. I smiled softly, before remembering what had happened before I'd blacked out, my smiled faltered.

"Thorin, about before, I-"

The door suddenly opened, revealing Dwalin.

"What's wrong?" Thorin asked, expecting the worst. I flinched at his hard, emotionless face.

"Balin sent me, the elf wants to read the map" Dwalin replied, glancing at me nervously, Thorin sighed.

"Alright, stay with her...I don't trust the elves" Thorin snapped before swiftly leaving the room. Dwalin stood there a moment before taking the seat Thorin had just left.

"Dwalin-"

"Leave it for later lass, we all deserve to know"

I nodded sadly, looking down.

"Get some rest, the sooner we can leave the better. Don't worry, I'll no' leave" Dwalin reassured me. I nodded, before getting comfortable. Sleep soon followed.

~

My stomach growled with the beast as we smelt fresh meat. I'd been woken by Dwalin with the promise of real food...meat. I limped along, trying to keep up with Dwalins' long strides, but I quickly over took him as I smelt cooking meat.

We rounded a corner to see the dwarves sitting around a makeshift fire in the garden. I padded along eagerly beside Dwalin, who took a seat next to Dori. I stopped however when all eyes turned to me. I instantly noticed Thorin and Balin missing, along with Gandalf and bilbo. With out Thorins' presence, I was on edge. The beast growled deeply, but I with held the sound. Luckily, Bofur, ever the peace keeper, cut into the empty silence.

"Hello lass, how ye feeling?"

I looked at them all, noticing the nervous look in their eyes.

Were they scared of me?

"I-I'm fine, thank you Bofur" I whispered softly, looking down awkwardly.

"Here, have a seat by me lass" Bofur smiled tightly, moving over to create a seat for me. I gratefully took it, fiddling with my hands once I was seated. The aroma of meat made my mouth water.

"'Ere ya go lass, can't let you go 'ungry now can we" bofur laughed, passing me a plate of cooked meat. I didn't even get a chance to say thank you before my mouth was gulping down the first mouthful. I didn't realise how hungry I was. In a few moments, my plate was clean and my stomach was full. I sighed happily before realising all had gone quiet again. I slowly looked up to see everyone staring at me.