Back At It

During the ride I held tightly onto Plianne's rune, putting it in a box so he couldn't access his power. I also monitored his emotions and although I couldn't read his thoughts, I would've been able to tell if he was planning something funny.

However Plianne resisted a lot. He often tried using his rune, but I was able to stop him. Doing that all day caused my head to start pounding.

By the time we stopped to set up camp, it took all the power within me to block Plianne's rune and he knew that. As soon as Plianne jumped off his horse, I knocked him out cold. Plianne plopped to the ground with a puff of dust as I slid off Story, happy to release my hold on him.

"I told him to sleep," I told the boys as they looked at unconscious Plianne with concern.

"Why?" asked Jhestan.

"My head hurts," I grunted as I rubbed my temples. Jhestan scoffed and I snapped.

"Oh I'd like to see you try and put a damper on someone's rune all day," I spat. "See if you're not exhausted. I'm the reason we even have him. You'd be dead if it weren't for me."

Jhestan's face fell slightly, but only slightly. "You're right," he admitted. "I'm sorry." I swore under my breath in my native tongue as I brushed my hair out of my face angrily and moved to take Story's saddle off her. Snapping at Jhestan didn't help my headache.

I bent over to undo Story's straps, but my brain seemed to slam against the inside of my forehead. I grunted as I squeezed my eyes shut against the pain. I fell forward, barely catching myself before falling back on my butt. I cradled my head between my knees and tried to breath slowly, waiting for the pain to subside.

Before I was able to stand back up, I heard the click of the buckle on Story's saddle being undone. Someone was taking off Story's saddle for me. Since I couldn't see whose soul it was because my head was occupied, I opened my eyes and looked up and saw Zyn heaving Story's saddle off her back.

Zyn set the saddle down next to me and looked at me, his mouth twitching in his own unique smile. I moved to stand up to help him, but Zyn stopped me by placing a pale hand on my shoulder and shaking his head slightly. His mouth twitched again and he stood to finish taking care of Story.

That night, as I sat up in a tree, Zyn stayed underneath me the whole night.

***

On our last day of travel, we past Brynley and Toril with the regiment they were sent to bring to take over Plianne's infected fief. Jhestan turned around and went back with them and I expected Zyn to also, but he just nodded a goodbye and moved forward with Kian and I. I met his eyes and looked at him questionably, his mouth twitched in response. I couldn't help but smile happily back.

Finally, after another slow two hours of riding, the path opened up and the trees thinned out. The horses' hooves began to click against the narrow cobble stone road of the market place. It was quiet because most of the shops have closed down for the night.

We went down the traders' route and took the exit out to the stables where I said goodnight to Story.

I'll come by to see you tomorrow, I told Story, patter her cheek.

You better, scoffed Story. I hate these stables.

I know. I said to her thinking about how alike we were.

To my right, Zyn and Kian were hauling the still unconscious Lord Plianne off his horse.

"Wake him up," ordered Kian with a snarl.

"Fine," I groaned, reaching into the Lord's pathetic mind. Plianne stirred and brought his head up, catching my eyes first then the two boys at his sides.

"Wha..." the Lord mumbled.

"Welcome to Galabee City, Lordy-loo," I exclaimed, sweeping into a mocking bow. "Now let us get you to your cell." I flashed him a dangerous grin before walking past them, out of the stables.

As we walked through the Palace, I felt for familiar souls as I planned, but I felt nothing that felt like my parents. We tossed Plianne in a cell and I rendered him unconscious once more till he could meet the King in the morning.

"Take her to her room," the Prince told Zyn as we emerged from the dark, damp dungeon.

My room. My excitement peaked at the thought of my room. I missed Mercy and her voice and all the books left unread.

Zyn and I walked in comfortable silence through the palace towards my room, but it seemed to take too long. Zyn caught my eye with his eyebrow raised.

"I missed my room," I explained with a wide grin. "And Mercy. I missed Mercy." Zyn's mouth twitched as he shook his head. "And I know which book I'm going to read next... Oh," I drawled as a thought occurred to me. "Mercy's probably going to make me take a bath." I pouted for a second before my room door came into view. "Oh!" I exclaimed before breaking off into a run towards it.

"Have a good night Laika," called Zyn after me as I was twisted the knob.

"Mercy!"