Mercy

I released a heavy sigh as I engulfed myself in the hot steamy bath water, laced with lavender. The last time I had a hot bath was a lifetime ago and I could most definitely get used to this.

"Miss," squeaked the soft voice of the servant girl. "I have laid out a night gown on your bed for you to wear once you are finished." I looked up at her, expecting her to flinch or recoil from my gaze, but she held her ground, although, she did not meet my eyes longer than a few seconds.

The politely petite girl wore a green servant girls', which swallowed her tiny frame, with a white apron tied at the waist. Her sandy brown hair was hidden beneath a white cap, save for a few strands that refused to be kept hidden. Her hands, calloused from servants work, were clasped tightly in front of her. She had a heart-shaped face and hazel eyes that darted around the room, hardly landing on my eyes.

"What is your name?" I asked, trying to get her to look up at me.

The girl hesitated, then opened her mouth to murmur, "Mercy."

"I – I am to be your maid from now on," she stuttered.

"Thank you," I smiled at her. Silence fell and I gave up trying to get Mercy to meet my eyes, so I looked forward to the bare stone walls of the bathroom. Taking a deep breath, I submerged myself totally under the hot water. I stayed underneath the surface for a while, slowly letting air escape from my nose. The bubbles floated to the top leisurely.

Once my lungs were empty of all their air, I broke through the surface. I raked my fingers through my wet hair, but they got caught on many knots that hid in my hair. My nose scrunched up at the sharp pain that pierced my scalp as I attempted to detangle my unruly black hair.

"Here," Mercy said as she rushed to my head, a small tooth comb in her hand. She sat down on a stool placed near the bathtub. "Let me." Gently and methodically, Mercy worked the tangles out of my hair.

Next to the stool Mercy sat on was a small, ornate hand mirror. I stooped over the ledge of the tub and picked up the mirror to hold it up to my face. My pale skin was nearly transparent and my green eyes were dull and empty. Black bags hung underneath my eyes that had been a constant feature on my face since I began this unforgiving lifestyle.

Then there was my rune. Glittering gold lines sparkled on my face like a luminescent lightning bug on the right side of my face. It mocked me; haunted me. With the memories of the ones I've killed; lives I've ruined. Familiar frustration filled my heart and I scowled deeply as I set the mirror back down on the floor.

"May I say something, my lady," asked Mercy politely, although her voice was a little louder and her tone a little harder.

"Yes," I murmured and Mercy continued to comb through my hair.

"You are beautiful." My eyes snapped open wide for a few seconds before they narrowed again in confusion. "I know you would most likely beg to differ, because you have had to hide your face from those who think of you as a bad person. And I apologize for being afraid of you and for any false thoughts I have had about you. But you have shown me kindness and I saw nothing but that in your eyes when you smiled at me today." Mercy put the comb down and sighed.

"But I also saw sadness." My breath caught in my throat. "I do not know what you have been through, my lady, but I want you to know you are beautiful and despite what the world says about you, you have a kind heart. I am honored to be your maid for the remainder of your stay." Without another word, Mercy began combing through my hair once again.

Speechless, I sat in the steaming water thinking about what Mercy had just said. She did not fear me? She was honored? I took in a few shaky breaths.

"Mercy?" I whispered.

"Yes'm?"

"You really live up to your name."

Mercy laughed softly before saying, "I try to miss."