V

The final bell came with a jolt to the heart. Seconds seemed to pass like the emptying of an hourglass, only to be reset again. The peak of my small life drew closer with each reset.

"You've got this," Claire said.

"Thanks," I said.

"Do you know where Serena went?" She said.

"She said she had to go home for something, I don't remember. She'll be back before the meet. We have an hour left anyway."

"I know about that, but she came back."

"What?"

"Yeah, when you were in the restroom."

"I don't know then."

"Wait, there she is. Is that Jack she's talking to?"

"Yeah."

"Aww, he's totally blushing over there."

"Aww, he is."

"Dang. She's coming back."

"I know, she looked like she was enjoying herself over there."

She ran across the field to us.

"Did you ask him if it hurt?" I said.

"What?" She said.

"When he fell from heaven," I said.

"Shut up," she laughed.

"I know Lexi," Claire said, "Serena was obviously hyperventilating over there."

"I strongly dislike you two," she chuckled.

"Why?" Claire said, "Jack's really cute, and Alexis here won't give him a break anytime soon."

"Stop," Serena said, "he was just asking me about homework because he said I was really smart."

"Ooo," I added.

"What? I am. He just said it out loud."

"Because he wants you to tutor him," Claire said wiggling her fingers.

"Claire," Serena said, "please."

"Serena's right Claire. He obviously wants help with math because he's trying to figure out what Serena plus Jack equals."

"I am so done with talking to you guys."

We all laughed.

"I should do a few laps just to keep my from tiring up before it starts."

"Okay," Serena said.

"We'll see you," Claire said.

I walked over the three rows of metal bleacher that was in front of us, and touched the track right after. I began at a slow pace, just to get moving.

"I see you can't get enough of running," Levi said from the soccer field, which the track surrounded.

"I'm just warming up a little," I said.

"Nervous?" He said.

"Not really," I said.

"Can I join?"

"Sure."

He jogged along the side of me, at the same pace.

"You know if we win the race, Coach is gonna love you forever right?"

"Not really, but I guess I do now."

"Yeah. He's putting a lot of hope into this one. The last race we blew, and Lily was the only reason we made it as high in the ranks as we did."