IX

On my hands I could count the number of times I dreamt of my sister, and in all of them, she was never so eerie. But as I sat up in my bed Friday, I couldn't help but take a while to explore the dream I had prior to my wake, contemplating the aspects of its importance and meaning; if a meaning could actually be drawn from it.

We were on stage, only I was behind the scenes watching her grace the floor. She never showed interest in drama alive, so it was unordinary. The crowd was invisible, yet I heard their resonating applause as I walked closer to see her, still behind the maroon curtains, which when I looked up, never ended. I looked at the seats, searching for someone, anyone, to prove I wasn't insane. But the screams and claps filled my ears too much for thought to pass. Then one of their voices came through, and older gentleman sound, "So amazing! I wonder if it's real."

The only thing she had done was walk, with a smiling paper mache mask, on a dusty white, and did small elegant poses, moving her arms like a doll. The stage became even more illuminated by the stage lights, and she jumped, putting her hands on her hips, tilting her head, and shaking it no. Then she looked at me, and my heart as well as the applause stopped. The cheery and glowing mood turned into pure angst, shooting through my body.

"Don't be fooled," she whispered, echoing through the room.

Her head shot like a bullet back to the audience, who had grown silent. I followed. Standing in the back of the auditorium, was a tall bold shadow, standing out compared to all the rest. He was the only one there, and turned the dream into a nightmare.

He was the killer.

Then her screams were hears behind me. I turned, and she was gone.

And I woke up.

"I'm driving you to school today," Dad said when I finally emerged from my room.

"Me and Claire were gonna ride with Serena's mom today," I said.

"Well tell her I'll take them off her hands," he said, "I'm going in later today, and I wanna talk to you."

I sighed, "Okay."

I stretched the duration of my shower out longer than I had done before, trying to waste as much time as I could before she came.

"I know what you're doing," he said from the hall, "I've already talked to her by the way. She said thank you and Serena should be ready."

I got out after that. Mom was already venturing to work when I finally sat, ready, at the breakfast table eating a cheese stick and an apple; a horrible breakfast for anyone in the world.

"Okay. Now we can talk," he said sitting across from me.

"About what?" I said.

"Anything you wanna talk about."

"What if I don't want to?"

"That's not a topic. That's just a request."

"You decide then."

"Who you're seeing."

"What about him?"

"I wanna meet him in person."

"Is that all?"

"Yeah. What did you think I wanted?"

"I don't know. It just seemed like you were mad and gonna lecture me or something."

"Not until after I meet him."

He stood up, and motioned for me to come along with him to go, "Come on."