XIV

Lungs burning and all, I stopped at his house and knocked on the door.

"Levi!"

His mother came instead, "Hello?"

"Mrs. Bradford! Is Levi home?"

"Sorry sweetie. He and his brother just left with their father. They'll be back soon. You can wait on them if you'd like. No thank you ma'am, but if you could tell me where they went, that would be very helpful."

"I think they were driving over to the police station. Levi's car was stolen yesterday."

That wasn't the reason.

"Thanks Mrs. Bradford."

"No problem."

And I ran again, my adrenaline rush slowly fading. This time I had to stop for a breather. I realized that the police station was too far away for my imagination to consider walking there on foot. The cold finally sunk into my skin, a left cruel marks as I shivered walking the direction of the station still.

"Alexis!" Dad's voice rang.

"What!" I cried.

"Get in the car!"

"No!"

I fought to outrun the vehicle, only falling to the soft snow instead.

"I have to help her."

I lay sobbing on the ground, the frostbite creeping onto my open skin and stinging me like bee needles. Mom, Dad, and Serena all got out of the car and picked me up, and put me in the backseat.

"Please, at least take me to the police station," I pleaded.

"Why?" Mom said, "So you can run off again?"

"No, I promise I won't. I just need to go."

"I'm not gonna do it," Dad said, the one behind the wheel of the car.

"Please!"

In the corner of my eye, I saw something, "Oh no!"

They stopped the car.

"Levi! I screamed.

A fiery blaze lit the streets in red flickers. His father's car was the source, crashed into a lone tree on the side of the road.

I got out.

"Alexis!"

Someone called my name, someone called the police, and someone got out with me. I didn't know who did what, or care just the same.

I finally made it to the car, and the first body I saw was his father's. It was nothing but a skeleton. His brother's body was thrown out of the passenger window. He was burned, but skin was still there. And Levi was thrown out of the car, on the ground in a mangled black pile of soot. I crashed to his side and cried on his hot back.

That's when I heard muffled and congested breaths.

"He's alive! He's alive!"

* * * *

His mother sobbed violently in her chair as we all sat in the waiting room. Her eyes on fire just as the car was; burning with tragedy. No one was allowed to see him in the ICU yet until they were ready, and even Regen they were is would only be members of the family. In his case, member of the family. After she got done, it would be my turn, or the friend of the victim. After that he'd have to rest. But after an hour of sitting in the hospital, the nurse only came out to tell us he was in a medically induced coma.

"When will he wake up?" His mother cried.

"It won't be long, but at least a month or two."

She went hysterical, and my mother and father tried to hold her and calm her down.