XII

"Honey," a knock at the door said.

Caught in a light daze from sleeping, I stretched my tired muscles and stood up. She continued to knock.

"I'm coming."

I opened the door to her, beaming as bright as the sun was in my eyes.

"Come on out."

"I am. I am."

"Happy Thanksgiving!"

"What?"

"You forgot it was Thanksgiving today?"

Since there were no plans for the holiday this year, who wouldn't have forgotten about it. I store at her, as she desperately tried to fight the fact that Thanksgiving had gone all up in flames and we would have to wait until Christmas until we could step back into the whole celebrating thing.

"No, but what about it?"

"The hotel is having a Thanksgiving dinner. We just have to pay twenty dollars a person, but there's gonna be a five star chef cooking."

"Wow, nothing better than eating quality food with strangers."

"What would you like to do then? Sit and mope around being depressed?"

"It's better than acting like nothing is happening."

She became silent, looking at me as if I were a monster; her eyes, persecuting me, "Maybe stuff is happening. But we aren't dead yet."

She threw a towel that I never noticed in her hand at me, before walking away.

"Now take a shower, and be thankful."

I walked back into the room, and closed the bathroom door.

Once clean and dressed, I laid on my bed with my wet hair spread across the pillow, drying the rest of the way with the little sun that shone through the uncovered creases of the red curtains. I thought of onto two things:

1.) Why did we have to do this?
2.) I know why, but why me?

I lacked interest in moving, but forced myself to get back up and walk out into the hotel again. Oh my way down the stairs I met Claire.

"What?" My mouth spits in confusion.

"Listen, Lexi-"

I turned and walked away.

"Lexi!"

"Go away Claire."

"Listen, we are both sorry."

"Good. I don't care."

"Lexi!"

She ran up the stairs following me, "Listen!"

I stopped and turned, bringing us face to face, "What?"

"I wanted to tell you I'm sorry, and I felt really bad."

"Is that all?"

"My mom wanted to invite you all over for dinner so you wouldn't be alone."

"Well we're having dinner at the hotel so no thank you."

And I walked up to my floor. She followed, slowly creeping up behind me in hesitance,"Me and Rob broke up."

I stopped, but continued to look forward.

"He tried to have sex with me, and at first I was gonna do it, but I got uncomfortable and told him to stop. . . he didn't."

Her voice quivered. I turned to watch her crying, legs lowering her to the floor from lack of emotional strength. I ran to comfort her, holding her shaking body in my arms.