VII

"Serena's been so busy with Jack, she can't function," Claire said.

"Don't be so bitter," I said.

She threw her head on the table, "I wouldn't have to be if I wasn't so ugly."

"Don't even lie like that Claire. You know that you aren't ugly."

She laughed, "I know, but we're both still single, so something must be wrong."

"That sounds so desperate Claire."

"I am believe it or not. I am d-e-s-per-ate."

"Why?" I said laughing with her.

"Because I don't want to go to the Valentine's Day dance all alone. Homecoming was cancelled, so that was the only excuse for not having a date there."

"Why can't you just go with your friends? Plenty of people do it."

"Well the only friends I have are you and Serena, and she's going with Jack, and you're just you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're just a friend. It's not the same."

"You are making too big of a deal about this Claire."

"I just wanted to be cool. And date a really cute guy, and show off at the dance. You know, live the Hugh school dream."

"You are such a cliché."

"And? It's the way I was born."

"You'll find someone eventually Claire, just wait. I'm not even looking, and I know I'll find someone."

From the right corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of Levi, effortlessly gliding through the lunchroom crowd, on his way to me.

"It looks like Levi is coming over here," Claire said.

"I know," I said, "I wonder why?"

I was bit prepared for Claire, Serena, Mom, Dad, or anyone else in the world to know about the situation that happened last night.

"Hey Alexis," he said with a smile, "Hey Claire."

If she hadn't been scared of pure embarrassment, I believe that Claire would have fainted in that very second.

"You wanna come over to my table. We have enough room for both of you," he finished.

Just as he finished Claire answered, "Yes."

She already accepted, so I only stood up and followed her. She nudged my arm with her elbow as he faces ahead, walking in front of us.

"Oh my gosh," she whispered, "I love you so much right now."

"You aren't still obsessed with Dewy after what I told you are you?"

She only kept walking, eager to complete her dream of meeting her schoolgirl crush. I couldn't share the same feelings with her considering my moment of surrealism came the first day I met Levi up close and in person. She flipped her hair as she sat down.

"Hey," the members greeted.

"Hi," Claire said smiling involuntarily.

"Hey you guys," I said.

Levi took a seat next to me.

"How's freshman year going little freshman buddies," Dewy said, "still drowning in homework?"

"As always," I said.

Two nods came from the lunatic to the other side of me.

"That's the thing," Levi began, "since we're seniors we don't get as much. Most of us are actually done with school but want to walk at the end."