XI

After the fail of getting any further than we were, we just abandoned the idea. It didn't really matter in the end, because officers were watching the family anyway. Sadly, no one was watching the most important piece to the puzzle.

"Are you sure?" I heard Mom say on the phone one afternoon as I lay doing homework, "Okay."

I could hear the concern her voice was drenched in as the conversation ended, and the slow steps she took walking to the bathroom. "What is it?" I asked just as she passed my door.

She came back, and stood in my doorway, "Anastasia is dead. They just found her body in a ditch under the highway."

"Are you serious?" I said.

"Yes. They're gonna put us on watch as well. Levi has been watched by the police, and there isn't a possibility that he could have done it. But, they're afraid the actual killer may come after us."

"So we can't leave the house?"

"No, we can, they're just gonna increase the amount of officers around the places they know we go."

"How will they know who's the killer though when they see people with us?"

"They won't."

And the conversation fell flat. She continued, and walked to the bathroom. I stood up, and looked out the window. No cruisers were there, but I knew that would soon be, I would live in the twisted reality show of murder, and how to escape it. I could see the blue tint of the air, and grey clouds which hung low to the dry ground. It looked like it was gonna snow how cold the temperature appeared to be. Just as I was about to walk away, a figure appeared to sink under the window's vision, and knocking on the door. My dad went to get it.

"Alexis," he called to me.

I walked down the stairs, to see the figure now in the house standing with Dad talking.

"Levi?" I said.

"Hey Lexi," he said.

"Oh, so this is him?" Dad said.

He held out his hand, with an emotionless face, trying to look as tough as possible with pajama pants on. Levi did as expected, firmly gripping his hand in response, and shaking it. The frosty wind blew into the house; I could see Dad shiver, his bare feet and open arms because of the T-shirt he wore catching most of the frigid chilling.

"Come in," he said to Levi, speaking excessively demanding.

Once again he obeyed, as I looked at my father with sarcastic eyes and an annoyed state of being.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Did you hear about Anastasia?" He asked, "She died."

"We already know," Dad interrupted before I got a chance to to talk.

He was shut silent; the silence thick and uncomforting, with awkward duration. Mom came into the living room and at least broke the silence, but let the feeling remain, "Oh, hello, Levi. What brings you here?"

"He-" Dad began.

"He came over so we could talk to you two about something," I butted in.

Levi looked over to me, his eyebrows confused about the meaning. My eyes told him to relax, but their glare was intercepted by Mom and Dad, whose eyes also caught my attention.

"I didn't go to Claire's house last night," I started, "I snuck out with Levi."

His eyes widened, fearful of what Dad's eyes said that he would do to him when they glared into his.