Chapter Fourteen

The two of them stood in the shower after a night full of sex and just being with each other. They were both still very angered at the loss of their unborn child, but DJ really needed to get past it. She was very upset, but she was starting to think maybe it wasn't the right time for her to be having a baby. They finished with their shower and began to get dressed.

"Are you sure you want to go on this lockdown, babe?" Zak asked as he finished buckling his pants.

"I don't want to stay here and cry all day about it. I need to go." DJ replied as she slipped on her hoodie.

"It's okay to cry. Especially in this case. We lost a child."

"Zak, I can't cry anymore."

"Alright, I'll meet you down by the van." Zak kissed her forehead and left the room. DJ came out a little while later and when she got to the lobby, she bumped into someone she'd hope she'd never again.

"DJ Roberts." Tommy's foul voice filled her ears.

"What do you want Tommy?" DJ asked as she turned around to face him.

"I'm just staying here with my family." DJ cringed knowing Tommy was throwing it in her face because the entire time DJ was with him, she couldn't get pregnant.

"Everything okay over here?" Billy asked finally showing up.

"Everything's fine. Let's go." DJ went to walk away but felt Tommy grabbed her arm.

"I'm not done talking to you."

"Wouldn't do that, bro." Zak's voice chimed in as he appeared behind DJ.

"Baby, I got the roo-." DJ could not believe her eyes when Carley appeared next to Tommy.

"I'm not even going to ask what happened with your husband." DJ said and yanked her arm from Tommy's grip. "I trusted you as a friend and as a sister. Stay the hell away from me." DJ, Billy, and Zak quickly left the lobby, and she nearly broke down in tears. She put her forehead against the side of the van trying to gather it all in her head. DJ felt a hand rubbing her back trying to comfort her.

"Who was that?" Zak asked as DJ turned back around and rested her head back against the side of the van.

"One of the thousands of ex-boyfriends I had. When I was with him, I couldn't get pregnant, so he was cheating on me. I never knew who it was, now I do. I want so badly to strangle Carley right now."

"DJ, I need to explain." Carley said as she came out of the hotel.

"I swear if you don't fucking leave me alone, I am going to flip." DJ replied as she felt her hands ball into fists. "I spent a long time treating you like a sister and you fucking slept with my boyfriend and got pregnant when I couldn't. Well, I hope your fucking happy cause I did get pregnant but still lost it." DJ pushed Carley back and Zak quickly pulled her away because she could do any damage. They quickly got into the van and drove away. It was evident on DJ's face just how pissed she was.

"Why did you stay with him if he was cheating on you?" Zak said as he looked at DJ.

"Because I was in love with him." DJ replied as she continued to look out the window. "At first he was a really sweet guy until I couldn't get pregnant. I left him when I finally did because I had enough."

"Can you look at me?" DJ wouldn't turn around and Zak just decided to let her be for now. She felt the tears starting to fill up in her eyes. DJ scooted over and wrapped her arms around Zak surprising him because he lifted his arm out of her way. He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and kissed her forehead. "I love you and I promise you that I will never do that to you."

"I know you wouldn't, Zak. It's hard to think that somebody I grew up with could betray me like she did."

"You don't need that kind of person. You have me and the guys."

-------------------------

About two and a half hours, they reached their next location. They got to their next hotel and out their stuff into their rooms. They got to their next location which was another insane asylum. Zak got ready for his interviews and DJ stood at the edge of the sidewalk looking at the building. As a medium, she was very aware of what went on in haunted places. She looked at a window and saw what looked like a figure in white looking at her. DJ's head tilted and the figure copied her move.

"DJ." She hadn't heard Zak saying her name. It was almost like she was in a trance. "Nick, grab your camera." Zak walked over to DJ just as she started walking towards the building. They hadn't even began interviewing yet and DJ was already having problems. "Babe, snap out of it." DJ shook her head and looked at Zak. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay." DJ replied as she shook it off. Zak kissed her forehead and went back to what he was doing getting ready for the interviews. DJ followed Zak as he went on with the interview. They walked into a room and DJ stopped dead in her tracks. "Fuck that." DJ said when she saw puppets everywhere. "There's no way I'm going in there."

"You make fun of my phobia of dolls, and you're scared of puppets?" Zak said making everybody laugh. She put her hands on her waist and walked in circles.

"My fear of puppets goes behind your phobia of fucking dolls." DJ replied as she stood behind Billy as if shielding herself from the room.

"Why are you so scared of puppets?" Jay asked pointing the camera at DJ.

"I had a cursed fucking puppet in my room when I was a kid that used to move, and it petrified me."

"Come on. It'll be fine." DJ shook her head. "If it gets too much, you can go."

"I fucking hate you." DJ followed behind Zak as they walked into what is called the "puppet room" by the people at the asylum. Her's fingers dug into Zak's jacket as he went on with his interview.

Suddenly, a puppet fell and landed on DJ's back. She jumped. "That's it. I'm out, I'm out." DJ was quick to leave the room when she felt another puppet fell and she quickly ran out of the room and squatted down taking in a deep breath.

"Are you okay?" Billy asked as he came out with the camera.

"Hell no. The room petrifies me, Billy." DJ replied as she stood up. She took some deep breaths and walked back into the room. She stood next to Zak as she looked around at the puppets. It all started to get too much, and she hid her face in Zak's shoulder.

"What's wrong?" Zak asked when he heard DJ whimper.

"I'm petrified right now." DJ mumbled into his shoulder. She shook so bad that they had to cut the interview short. Everybody walked out and DJ rested her face her hands. She sat down on the bench outside of the asylum. Zak sat down next to her as Nick and Aaron continued to film. It was clear just how much the puppets terrified her.

"I'm sorry to put you through that." Zak said as he rubbed DJ's back.

"I don't know why they scare me so much." DJ replied as she lifted her head. She sniffled and rubbed her face. "I know it' the stupidest thing to be scared of."

"Hey, I hate dolls and clowns." DJ turned back and looked at the building. There was something pulling at her to come inside. She swore that the figure she saw looked like her mom. DJ stood up because she knew something was wrong.

"Nick, will you hand me a recorder?" DJ asked and Nick handed her the recorder.

"What's wrong?" Zak asked as he stood up.

"I don't know. Zak, take this recorder and record while I ask questions." Zak was a bit confused but did as she said. Nick, Aaron, Billy, and Jay followed her through the building. "Who is in this building? Who did I see in the window?" DJ had a familiar come over her and they hadn't even started the lockdown yet. Suddenly, her head shut up and looked down a hallway. "Zak, play it back."

"What did you hear?" Zak asked only to have DJ snatch the recorder from his hand. She played it back and got a shocking answer that made tears start to well up.

"Des." The voice said and automatically she got worried. A few seconds later, she heard what sounded like a baby cry.

DJ did everything in her power not to break down, but she smiled.

"That's my mom's voice." DJ said as she sucked in a huge breath.