Truth or Dare: Chapter 12

Most things in life are moments of pleasure and a lifetime of embarrassment… ~ Tony Benn

“Kylie, I don’t understand why you’re--” 

“Mom, just be quiet, please.  I’ll do the dishes, play piano, study for the SATs, or whatever you want, just give me Saturday off.”  I cut off, focusing back on my video.  I’ve been surfing YouTube for the past three hours, trying to learn how to skateboard from the tutorials they had.  So far, all I learned was that if I fell, I can break a bone.  Surprisingly, that didn’t make me feel any better.

I grinded my teeth and looked back at the time for the fiftieth time.  11:45.   I was suppose to meet Chez outside my house at noon.  After the first day of school, I realized to my pleasant surprise, that Chez was my next door neighbor.  I sighed, preparing myself for the worse humiliation of my life.

Getting up from my chair, I rummaged through my closet, picking out any clothes that at least looked decent enough, but wouldn’t give my mom too many crazy ideas about where I was going.  As far as she was concerned, I was hanging out with Chez, at her house, and studying for my math pop quiz.  She would never approve of the whole attempting to skateboard thing.

Dashing to the bathroom, I quickly changed, then ran a quick brush through my hair, which to my great surprise, was actually cooperating today.  Finally ready, I rushed downstairs, only to come face to face with a very stern expression from my mom.

“Kylie, I want you to tell me the truth.”  She pressed, her eyes boring into mine.

“I’m going to Chez’s house to help her with a math quiz we are having on Monday.  Trust me.”

She studied me closely, and I made sure to make my eyes seem confident.  After all, they do say the eyes are the windows to your soul.  I hoped my soul wouldn’t give too much away.  Fortunately, I’m a pretty decent liar, something I’m not exactly proud of, but something I felt thankful for.

“Fine, but put on sunscreen.”  She handed me a bottle of SPF 80 sunscreen.  “I don’t want to risk you getting skin cancer.”

I nodded agreeably, just wanting to escape the house as fast as I could.  In front of my mother’s unwavering stare, I slathered on as much sunscreen as I could without turning into a sheet of paper.  A white sheet of paper.  Finally, approving of my amount, she handed me a bottle of water.

“You have to be back by no later than 6:30.”  She conceded, then ushered me out the front door.

“Kylie!”  Chez exclaimed as soon as I stepped out the door.  “And Mrs. Verita, what a pleasure to meet you.”  Chez shook my mom’s hand politely, and I saw my mom give her to approving look.

“Nice to meet  you too, Chez.   Hope you guys have fun studying.”  She replied, more cheerful than before.

“We will Mom,”  I called back, pushing Chez away before she could see Chez’s confused expression.  “Bye.”  I said with a finality, and started walking towards Chez’s house, dragging her behind me.

“Studying?”  She eyed me questionably.

“Yea,"  I grinned sheepishly.  “She wouldn’t have let me out otherwise.”

“Strict parents?”  Chez nodded sympathetically.

“Tell me about it.”  I rolled my eyes.

“So, ready to skateboard?”  Chez asked, her eyes lighting up at the prospect.  I barely suppressed a groan, and remembered that I was suppose to be excited about this occasion.