Truth or Dare: Chapter 18

Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way.  When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.  ~Joseph Heller

When I got home from the movies, my mom was waiting patiently by the door, literally.  She was sitting on a chair by the front door with a book in her hands.  My happy face must have been blinding, because my mom immediately started to rapidly fire questions at me like there was no tomorrow.

“Why are you do happy?” she questioned immediately as soon as I put my first foot into the house.  What kind of question was that?  Did she expect me to be sad when I got back home?

“Um, I got the chance to hang out with my friends?”  I answered, raising an eyebrow.  I could already tell that this was going to be a very long questioning session.  Grabbing a chair, I sat down, deciding to get comfortable.  “We watched--”

“Were there any guys?”  she shot back, before I even had time to finish my first answer.

“Chez’s boyfriend.”  I sighed.

“What was he like?”

“Nice?”

“What’s his name?”

“Aiden.”

“Does he have straight A’s?”

“Um, I think?”  

“Were there any other guys?”

I hesitated for a moment, “Yes.”

“Who?”

“Ethan,”  I answered.  “I think he has straight A’s as well.”  I hastily added in, even though I knew full well that chances are he didn’t.  She nodded satisfactorily, knowing that I hung out with the ‘good’ crowd.  I pushed down my guilty conscience, ignoring the stabbing pain in my heart I felt every time I lied.

“What did you guys do?” 

“Watch a movie,” I started, “like I was about to say before I was rudely interrupted.”  I couldn’t help adding in. 

Etcetera, etcetera, you get the point.

So when I finally managed to stop the questioning, I tried to escape to the silent sanctuary of my room.  That’s when my mom dropped the bomb, and not just a tiny smoke bomb, a nuclear bomb.  “On the fourteenth, your Aunt and Uncle from China are coming over, so we are going to have a nice family dinner that night.  I expect you to be home by the time school ends to help me cook and set up.”

“Excuse me?”  I choked turning back to face her, not sure I heard correctly.  “What’s the date?”

“The fourteenth.”

“I mean what month?”  My heart started racing fretfully.  The fourteenth was Valentine’s Day, meaning the day the Sadies Dance was happening.  There was no way I could miss it, not after what I went and did.

“February.”  She confirmed, and I nearly had a mini heart attack right then and there.

“Can’t they come some other day?”  I begged, practically dropping to my knees.  I can’t miss Sadies, I just can’t.  Especially since I asked Ethan out, and he picked me out of all the girls in the entire school who would die just to go out with him.  And here I was, your typical, average, somewhat nerdy girl going out with whose got to be the hottest guy in the entire school.  Maybe not hottest guy, but pretty darn close.  Wow, typical high school romance story which means all is suppose to end well, right?  Still, I couldn’t let him down; I’d be so embarrassed.

“No,”  she looked at me suspiciously, taking in my frantic expression.  “What else is happening on the fourteenth?”

“Well, we have this school dance--”  

“A school dance?”  She questioned, cutting me off.  “You use to never go to them back in Vegas, so why start now?”

“A lot of my friends are going,”  I said crossing my arms defensively, preparing for the question that was sure to come.  

“Did you ask someone to go with you?”  She asked, her eyes narrowing.  

Yup, there was the question.

“NO!”  I yelled in shock and horror.  “Why would you think that?”  I stared back at her, my eyes wide in repulsion as if I couldn’t believe my own mother would think such a traitorous thought.  Silly mom, why would I ever date someone behind your back?  I felt the stabbing pain of guilt return, but I kept my face free of any emotion that may betray it.

“Oh, okay,”  she nodded, looking pleased.  “Then it doesn’t matter if you skip the dance.  There are plenty more to come.”

That’s not good.

“But,”  I tried, feeling more and more helpless by the second.  “I volunteered to help out with the food, and they are having a lack of volunteers this year.”  I scrambled frantically around for an excuse, any excuse just so I could go.  “Also, I volunteered to set up and clean up, you know for community service hours.”

“I’m sure you can find a replacement and there are plenty more opportunities for you to do community service,”  she responded.  “With the way you’re going on, would I dare to think that you might have a boyfriend?”

“No, it’s not that--”  I started, but my mom raised a hand to stop me.

“Whatever it is, I don’t want to hear anymore excuses.  You are coming to the family dinner.  You haven’t seen your Aunt and Uncle in years, and this might be the last chance in several years.  Now, go to sleep,”  She commanded, sending me upstairs, with a look that screamed ‘Obey me or else’.

Dragging my feet dejectedly, I threw myself onto the bed, wondering how I could possibly convince my mom to let me go.  Chewing on my lip, I quickly ran through everything I could try.  Only two plausible ideas came up:

1) Continue to say how I volunteered for the dance and bring up how no one was able to replace me.  Add in the fact that I am still completely new to this town and that this would be a great idea to meet everyone.  Throw in a lie that teachers are offering extra credit to those who attend and help clean up and set up.

2) Tell her the truth.

There was absolutely no way that I was going to do the second one unless I was asking for a death wish.  Finally exhausted, I fell back onto my bed, deciding not to tell anyone about not being able to go.  Staring up at the plain white ceiling, I couldn’t help thinking how plain my life use to be until I moved here.  Then I thought about my predicament.  Maybe a miracle will happen like they always happen in books…

...yea, right.

************************************************************************************************************

Cliche, cliche.  I promise you that is not the case.  Or at least I hope that isn't the case.  So, what is going to happen next?  To go to the dance or not to go to the dance, her fate is in my hands... wow that hardly made any sense.  By the way, is she going to go?  Shall I make her sneak out her window?  And final question, what do you think about Ethan and Kylie?! hmm hmm?

And the straight A thing (and technically all the questions), I obtain that from my mom, so thank you mother (though I doubt your reading this o.O cause that would be awkward!)

Anyways, I know, I know, short chapter.  I think the next one will make up for it(:  

VOTE PLEASE :D *sings to a tune* vote vote vote... vote vote vote... and comment!!! LALALALA

Okay, I'm done ^-^

~Laura(XxIcyxX)