Truth or Dare: Chapter 16

After all, everybody has secrets and there are some things that nobody knows about you but only you, right? ~Halle Berry

Ethan probably stared at me with the same amount of shock I stared back at him.  Time came to a standstill, and I swear I heard everything around us fall silent.  Even the birds stop tweeting which was really weird.  Maybe it was a sign, a sign that I just asked the dumbest question in the world.  I didn’t, I so did not, did I?  Oh no, I did,  I thought frantically, over and over again, trying to read Ethan’s unwavering expression.

“What about the ‘other person’?”  Ethan finally broke the silence, looking at me curiously..

“What other person?”  I asked, confused, nervously biting the inside of my cheeks.

“Well, Chez said you were going to ask the ‘other person’.”

“Oh,” Flustered, I tried to think of the right words to say, but everything that came to mind was quite corny.  Finally, I settled with, “The other person was you.”  Blushing violently, I looked down at my shoes, letting my black hair fall in front of my face.  “Wow, that was corny.”  I said out loud, excusing my corny-ness.

“Kylie,”  Ethan started, finally understanding.  “You have got to be the hottest girl I’ve ever met.”

“Hottest?”  I asked, raising an eyebrow.  “Why, thank you,”  I bowed mockingly, flushing bright red.

“Yes.”

“Excuse me?”

“Yes, I will go to Sadies with you.  In fact, I was just going to ask you out on a date anyways before I heard Chez telling you to ask ‘him’ out, so here you go.”  He dropped a rose onto my lap.  As if on cue, my heart picked up it’s pace, pounding wildly against my chest.  “Will you go out with me?”

“I- I’m not allowed to date.”  I said glumly, picking up the rose and thrusting it back into his hands, finally managing to get it out.  If you ever met Asian parents, you‘d understand why.  ‘No dating until college’ was probably the most generic rule ever. 

“So?”  Ethan cut me off, handing me back the rose.

“So,”  I muttered, ducking my head in embarrassment. “I can’t.”

“There is this magical thing called ‘keeping a secret’,”  He said, putting finger quotes around ‘keeping a secret’.

“I know that,”  I rolled my eyes.  “But doing that comes with a whole bunch of lying.”

“You’re a good actress; you can pull it off.”  He said confidently.  “So?  It’s just a lie.  Everyone lies.”

I shrugged nervously.  “I don’t know.  If my parents found out, they would disown me.”

“Come on,”  He persisted.  “One date.  How about the movies?  Something simple.”

I hesitated, “I don‘t know.” 

“No one will know.  Just tell your parents you’re going to go to the movies with Chez.”  He pushed, looking very determined.

“Fine,” I agreed feeling horrible on the inside, knowing full well of the consequences of getting caught.

Ethan smiled happily and picked me up in a tight embrace, causing me to blush violently.  “Saturday night?”  

“Night?”  I asked, nervously.  “Like night, night?”

“No,” he bit back sarcastically.  “Morning, night.”

“But--”

He rolled his eyes dramatically, “It’s night, big deal.”